Is nimbus super cut LP really that good?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by platoo168, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. platoo168

platoo168 Forum Resident Thread Starter

i saw a lot of claim that it sound superior to other reissue. and the price now is sky rocket... can any one share view from direct experiences? :wave:

2. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Which Nimbus super cut LP?

3. platoo168

all of them i guess

4. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I had three of them including Rickie Lee Jones and Hissing of Summer Lawns. None were as good as the UK commercial equivalents on my system of the time, let alone the selected copies I've bought and compared in the last 30 years.

Only 800-1200 of each title were made, and they're very hard to find these days. That's why they're expensive.

They are unique masterings from the licensed UK master tapes. I believe there was an agreement for the license that there would be no further pressings and the metalwork was destroyed. The whole program was conceived by the UK magazine Practical Hi Fi.

5. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I have three Practical Hi-Fi Nimbus LPs...

Joan Armatrading - self titled
    Paul McCartney - Band on the Run
    Little Feat - Feats Don't Fail Me Now

my honest opinion... I don't rate them at all.

My American pressing of Joan Armatrading mastered by Doug Sax makes the Nimbus sound so bad it's not funny.

My American pressing of Little Feat again sounds far superior to the Nimbus.

I don't have anything to compare Paul McCartney to, so I can't make a call on that one.

The only good thing is that I got the three Lps dirt cheap a couple of years ago and was saved from paying the extravagant sums of money being asked for them now.

JG

6. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

I sold all that I had once I compared them to other pressings. Collectible, but not for the sound.

7. jeffrosen

jeffrosen Forum Resident

I have the Santana Boborletta which is awesome. At least compared to the US Columbia pressing. One side runs 32 minutes so pretty hard to get it sounding as well as the Nimbus....

8. platoo168

cool thx

9. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I originally bought into the hype and got myself a Nimbus Super Cut of Supertramp's 'Breakfast In America'. All I can say is, don't believe the hype - my US original A&M pressing that I picked up at a fraction of the cost was so much better than the Nimbus.

10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I bought quite a few of these when they came out. I did find they only improved over standard fair in some ways when I aquired my Girodeck. Pepper from memory is pretty good but no better than the earlier pressings. Unfortunately my copy was stolen when prices remained modest.

Borboletta and Wish You where here are the best I have heard and can compare with standard pressings. This must be one of the few ways of getting a quiet WYWH pressing. Joan Armatrading I got at a good price of ebay and to my ears it is excellent against standard UK and US. My US pressing has nothing to indicate its a Doug Sax so maybe that cut is special.

Feats Don't Fail Me Now is nothing special. RLJ is bested by the recent SH/KG Warner Issue. HOSM is bested by the recent Warner and more so the Speakers Corner version. No experience of Band On the Run but a clean UK first press is great and reason I never bought this Nimbus title.

Overall the main problem with many Nimbus titles is a boosted high end and dry rather than full warm bass. There is some extra apparent detail and very quiet surfaces. The later putting to shame standards on a lot of current audiophile output. They were not highly regarded value wise against Mo-Fi until only a few years ago when they started to appear on ebay. I doubt most collectors other than audiophiles were even aware of their existence till then.

The answer is they are not worth the stupid prices now asked or bid up to. Only worth it if they can be found at a reasonable price and in mint condition.

11. platoo168

thanks .. very helpful

12. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

13. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Definitely NOT.

14. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

I've got two, Joni Mitchell Hissing Of Summer Lawns and Pink Floyd WYWH. I really rate both, I've compared the Joni to a UK A1/B1 Asylum 1st pressing (white label with logo in circle at top) and I prefer the Nimbus, it's just cleaner and more detailed. Much quieter than any original I've had pass through too, and I've had a few as I'm a record dealer. I've not directly compared the Floyd, though it does sound wonderful and is certainly the quietist copy I've ever heard. I'm just keeping the Floyd as an investment more than anything else to be honest. I've also compared the Rickie Lee Jones to a UK 1st press, and again preferred the Nimbus, so I'm going against the flow here, I really like them.

Tony.

15. James Glennon

Ah! But here's the rub, if you compare them to US originals they are shown up for what they really are... Very average!

As I said in an earlier post, compare the Nimbus Joan Armatrading with any Mastering Lab (the original mastering) copy UK or US and you will find it sounds pretty bad compared to it. The same goes for Little Feat, the US copy is superior!

As was stated the Nimbus LPs were cut from UK masters which are not the original tapes regarding Joni Mitchell, Ricky Lee Jones, Little Feat anyway!

I have to say even if forum members were raving about the Nimbus supercuts as the best they had ever heard I just wouldn't pay the kind of money being asked, I don't need an LP that much!

JG

16. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

That's a very good point, and I do find the first pressing from country of origin is usually the best. US pressed Joni is very thin on the ground here in the UK so I've not made that comparison. I'd expect the Nimbus Floyd to be the cut to beat though.

Agreed. I paid £3 for the Joni and £10 for the Floyd! Both in fabulous condition aside from a slight top seam split to the Joni. Two exceptionally quiet records, I can't recall hearing the slightest crackle on either.

Tony.

17. James Glennon

The three Nimbus LPs I bought cost me about €6 each a few years back!

JG

18. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

I have Eagles Desperado which I picked up in exceptional condition. Does it sound great? Yes, it really does. Was it worth what I paid? Probably not. I have a 180 gram reissue that sounds almost as nice, for a fraction of what I paid for the Nimbus. (And any expensive record that always makes me think twice about pulling it from its archival state to enjoy it is kind of a pain in the A#! to own anyway.) All that said, I have no buyer's remorse. When you're big fan of a certain album, you want to experience all of its various incarnations.

havefun6699 likes this.
  19. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

went through 2 "Deamboat Annie's" both LPs had "pittin'" on the vinyl surface, which caused a lot of distortion/snap/crackel/&pops. Not very good QC. IMO .
    I"ll stick to my domestic copy thanks....

sean

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.