Met a legend today at Skyline Studios: Johnny Perez of Sir Douglas Quintet!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I was over at Skyline Studios in Old Topanga Canyon today, taping an interview with Russ Gary (Creedence engineer) for a Japanese Broadcasting Music show. Not only was it a pleasure being co-interviewed with one of my engineering idols (and Wally Heider vet) but I find out that Skyline Studios is owned by a "John Perez".

Hey, do ya mean JOHNNY Perez, drummer of the Sir Douglas Quintet?

YEAH!

COOL BEANS!

So after the interview was over and the lights and stuff were being packed up, Russ introduced me to Johnny Perez! I had actually met him back in the 1980's at a party on 1812 Rothdell Trail in Laurel Canyon ("Love Street" as made famous by the Doors, where Jim and Pam lived). My bud lived in the building right next door to the famous Doors place and Doug Sahm and Johnny Perez used to hang out there as well.

The SMASH Gold record was on the wall for "Mendocino" which should have given me a clue but I was too busy getting make-up put on and other weird stuff like that to put two and two together.

At any rate, it was a pleasure to see Johnny Perez. A lot of great, classic records were recorded at Skyline Studios. The place looks like a 1969 time warp. A great vibe there in old Topanga. Wild parrots chirping in the trees, old guys with really long hair and beards walking down the street in pirate hats. Beautiful girls in peasant skirts. Just like the hippie daze...

Had a great time. Nice to see a working all analog studio set up..

These Japanese producers are interviewing everyone involved in the song "Have You Ever Seen The Rain", apparently an anthem in Japan. Their next stop is "Studio C" at the Hyde Street Studios in San Fran. home of all the Creedence albums except the first two. Used to be Heider's, still unchanged after all these years.

Topanga Canyon Hippie Girls rule!
    '

Attached Files:

2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Great story, I would love to see pictures of the studio.

Back in the late 70s I was studying art at Parsons right across the street from the Lone Star Cafe. I went in for a beer and burger one afternoon and saw the Doug Sahm Band sound check. After playing a few hits like Mendicino Doug sat at the bar with some of us art students shotting the breeze. He was a great guy and really down to earth, I'm sure Johnny is the same way.

3. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

4. Steve Hoffman

Yes and yes!

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Any pictures, Steve?

6. Steve Hoffman

Can't take pictures of another man's studio. I wanted to but it seemed uncool so I didn't....

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I read the hippie girls comment and I was hoping you'd post an example! :laugh:

Wow, there's a lot of history out there. But we have Yorkville....

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Fixed. :love:

9. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Cool! I just finished reading the new Doug Sahm Texas Tornado biography (a bit short, but sweet), so I've been on a Sahm/SDQ kick lately. When I was down at SXSW one year, I spotted Doug holding court in the middle of the Austin Convention Center lobby and was too chicken to go over and say anything. He passed away a short time later. At least I saw the SDQ at the Austin Music Awards in 1997.

10. monkeytree

monkeytree Forum Resident

So you recommend the book? I've been wanting to pick it up, but I thought the mere 200 pages seemed way too brief.

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That's such a groovy record too. I love it when I come across a piece of history like that.

12. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

that's a great story, Steve . . . after having several hits pkgs on cd & lp, i'm finally acquiring most of the orig vinyl SDQ very recently, and it's great listening--one of those "important" bands that's almost always underrated.

btw, have you read CANYON OF DREAMS; there's a thread here separately, but it really nails the history and 60's vibe of Laurel and environs. Just now reading the section around the time of the Manson murders, and how it affected everyone. Were you in that vicinity at the time? (small part of the book; overall, it's a great tribute to the cultural influences of the area).

doug

dc

13. Steve Hoffman

My parents were living in the West Valley at the time of the Manson Gang, yes. My mom used to drive us to the Movie Ranch area to play with our friends. Never thought there were a gang of murderers living there..

14. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

When the book arrived, I was a little surprised at how thin it was too. That said. it is a good read and about the only place you're going to find a fairly detailed portrait of Sahm's life. However, other than going into the sessions of the first Atlantic album, the author doesn't examine many of his albums, especially the later ones. Most of these are dismissed with just one sentence. Maybe Doug did record a few weak works, but music was his life, so it would have been interesting to find out more about what went into it.

15. Maybe the few folks the author could find to talk to about the later lp sessions
    are now too old to remember . . . or were too stoned in the first place??

Geoff Emerick's Beatles book is riddled with errors and he was hardly a stoner.
    Only a social drinker, it seems.

16. Russ Gary

Russ Gary Engineering Legend

here's a photo of Johnny Perez I took at Skyline last year.

Attached Files:

17. Russ Gary

Russ Gary Engineering Legend

maybe the author didn't look hard enough. I made several recordings with Doug.

18. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

People seemed to remember the Atlantic sessions quite clearly and those took place even longer ago (and probably with even more drugs). It's clear the author didn't like a lot of this music, so I think he didn't want to make the effort, which is annoying.

19. bridgetperez

bridgetperez New Member

OMG!! Its my Uncle Johnny...My dad is gonna be so happy to see that pic. I have a few pics of the studio when I visisted back in 2000

20. barneycordell

barneycordell New Member

Too cool....

Whilst always aware of Mendocino etc. I have recently discovered the likes of LP's 'Together After Five' and the totally awesome 'Rough Edges' released with zero fanfare on Mercury in like 1975 ish. Outtakes from the good days and most excellent. Doug Sahm is now an alltime hero...cannot get enough. He's now up there with Ronnie Lane for me...My english hero!

So, flashback to around 1987 (I was around 22)...went to live back in LA with my dear late Brother, Tarka Cordell, and we used to go hang out, play music, get high etc. at the 13th Floor Studio just off Pico. Yup, Johnny Perez's studio. how spoilt I was! didn't even know about SDQ then...

Gonna pass by Skyline this summer when I go to LA.

Hi Steve! Loved your Steve Todoroff interview.....

Keep it real...!

BC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.