The Ultimate Needle-Drop/Banned in D.C.-Bad Brains Greatest Riffs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by proufo, Aug 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proufo

proufo Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Most of the set—16 of the 22 songs—were transferred in my listening room last winter. I was given a nice credit and all of the gear used is mentioned: Simon Yorke S7 ‘table, Graham 2.2, Audio-Tekne MC-6310 cartridge, Graham IC-70 DIN-RCA cable, Vibraplane, Manley Steelhead, Harmonic Technology Magic Link One and Alesis Masterlink. "

Full info at

http://www.musicangle.com/album.php?id=104

2. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I caught this link from another thread and read about it. Pretty impressive. There was a Diamond Head CD "Lightning To The Nations" on High Vaultage that I have that was taken from the original vinyl that was "approved" by Lars Ulrich from Metallica (i.e. I don't think it was really picked by him personally, but the one's he grew up listening to as he is probably their biggest fan) and not the later remixed tapes that were released on Metal Blade Records. I am not sure why no master tapes exist.

Combat Records (i.e. Relativity Records) reissued a bunch of classic metal records in the late 90s and because of poor archiving, had to use vinyl on a few. Of course a friend of mine bought one (I can't remember which of the ten) and found a skip in it. I had contacts at the label and alerted them to it and they almost didn't believe me. And wanted it "confiscated" (or borrowed, whatever...) so they could hear it. My friend refused of course. I finally listened to it and the music goes by so fast that if you didn't know the record by heart, you wouldn't notice it!

3. J. Warren

J. Warren Senior Member

metalbob, the CD was Crumbsuckers "Life Of Dreams". I was so excited to pick this one up when it was first released since I had the cassette for 12 years or so, then my jaw dropped when I heard very crunchy vinyl and the skip in "Hub Run". Pretty careless with an album that is considered a classic by an admittedly small audience, but in a perfect world everything would be treated as though it was the most important project to someone, such as the care taken in transferring this Bad Brains project.

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Kind of amazing that tapes would be gone of something "so new", and that they'd have to resort to vinyl. Good person to entrust it with though. Now everyone can sample Mikey's system.

5. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I used to work for Relativity's distributor, RED Distribution, which was owned by Sony by that point. Looking back to those days when the records were recorded (just by how the label was run even after Sony's involvement), it was no shocker that the tapes were lost.

BOB

P.S. I am impressed that you knew the record. I have it in a box somewhere, but haven't listened to it since my friend pointed out the skip.

6. chrischross

chrischross New Member

Well, that explains why the S/T release on CD is a sonic mess. I had friends with the original vinyl EP's, and I remember those sounding pretty good.

The Ric Ocasek produced "Rock For Light" and the later "Black Dots" (material that was recorded prior to the ROIR Sessions) always sounded pretty good to me. "Black Dots" has the sound of a field recording discovering a punk band in their native state, with the sound of crickets between tracks.

7. grooves

grooves Vinyl Maven

When we did the transfers, we listened to various pressings, all of which were carefully cleaned using the Loricraft vacuum machine and Disc Doctor fluid and brushes. We also tried various cartridges until everyone involved felt that the sound quality was maximized and most closely resembled the master tapes--as they were remembered. The group's manager told me that he heard things during the vinyl playback that he'd forgotten where there, and he'd not heard since the original recordings were made! He also said the sound was better than any previous release. Ah, the mysteries of vinyl! In any case, I still have the 96K/24 bit "masters" on my Masterlink and when I compared them to the 16/44.1K CD issue I was happy to find that while the higher resolution transfer sounded somewhat better, the mastering engineer, Alan Douches—who's an old friend of mine—hadn't messed much if at all with EQ or compression and that the final CD mirrored what was stored on the Masterlink.

8. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

just listened to my cassette last week! Still a great tape. I lost "Beast on My Back" a long time ago, wish I still had a copy.

9. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Senior Member

I got to watch them fight and breakup at Quantum Sound when I worked there in '89. I wished I was the assistant on that session.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.