Private Concert - costs of having one

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

Was daydreaming about having a private concert by a big-time rock band.

So I googled to see how much it costs to have a (known) rock band do a private concert just for you on your birthday, your kid's sweet 16, your wedding or other special event. The blog linked below cites some paychecks for big-time acts doing private concerts.

http://www.pocketchangenyc.com/newsletter.asp?nid=1001

2. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Great thread!

I once heard on the Howard Stern show has-been 70's ans 80's bands can be had for cheap... Stuttering John hired someone (was it Cheap Trick?) for like five grand. I could be wrong about the band, but I'm sure I'm right about the money.

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I once had Pantera perform at my daughter's 16th birthday party. It did not cost me anything except a keg of beer.

4. axnyslie

axnyslie Forum Resident

Back in 2005 I actually got to see a private KISS concert. They played for a Honda family festival the plant put on for it's employees. I was working the event as a costumer and got to see the show for free. They performed inside Nationwide Arena and brought most of their stage show with them.

5. Mr. Dependable

Mr. Dependable New Member

There are tens, maybe hundreds, of thousands of incredibly talented musicians in this country trying to make a living in the business. Some of them probably live in your town.

Couple of years ago we could have hired the Carolina Chocolate Drops for a block party at $600.

Who knows what we can get the D-Town Brass for right now before they make it big?

I did notice that all those big bucks were being dropped before 2005. Wonder what the Eagles would get in today's economy?

6. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

some 60s acts play a large portion of their dates at private functions -- check out the websites of The Tams and the Swingin' Medallions, for example

7. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

I know Jimmy Buffett does a few of these a year - corporate events.

8. axnyslie

axnyslie Forum Resident

reminds me of the ending of Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    "Jeff Spicoli — Saved Brooke Shields from drowning. Blows reward money hiring Van Halen to play at his birthday party."

9. Raf

Raf Senior Member

The last edition of the Guinness Book of World Records I ever read was back in the '70s, and I distinctly remember that the performer who charged the most for a private concert back then was... Don Ho. $2 million, I think.

10. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

I imagine a lot of private concerts are held and paid for by companies, for company events. These days, it's not just an issue of cost, but also not wanting to appearing extravagant. Even if the Eagles would play a full concert at the company retreat for a fraction of the $6M they got in 2003 for one song, a company may not want to be known for hiring the Eagles during bad times.

11. Mr. Dependable

Mr. Dependable New Member

Yeah, I saw the B-52s back in 2000 at a private party that some internet startup threw at a Seybold Convention in Boston. They should have spent some of that money on their product.

12. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

many acts do living room concerts these says, especially acoustic artists. we had the rown bros. at our house a few years back. we charged at the gate and they were happy with whatever came in. they also sold a bunch of cd's. they are friends of ours so they weren't very demanding. my band opened and then i sat in with them.

Attached Files:

13. axnyslie

axnyslie Forum Resident

I also saw Devo at the private premiere party for ZDTV in 1998, which became TechTV, which became G4. That was back during the big .com boom and the SF tech world was swimming in wealth then.

14. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Heard that Robert Kraft owner of the New England Patriots once hired Elton John to do a "birthday concert" for his wife. Must be nice.

15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

For the most part the 5 grand number is pretty accurate for a 70s or 80s band that never made the real BIG time. I know several bands from the 70s that charge between $5 - 10K for a concert.

16. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

Per Panteran, right?

Frank G ;)

17. Spyder

Spyder Official vinyl solicitor and connoisseur.

During my mobile DJ'ing years back on Long Island (mid 80's through mid 90's) I ran into Johnny Maestro (The Crests/The Brooklyn Bridge) more than once in caterings halls as we entertained bar mitzvahs.

18. The closest I've come to seeing a private concert was an in store performance by Krista Detor in Tilburg. I turned out to be the only person in the audience, only towards the end of the performance a customer who liked what he heard joined me for the last 2 songs or so. Krista was so happy about having at least 1 fan in the audience, a couple of days later at another show she told me "You save my life".

19. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

you can have a Francis Dunnery House Concert for about $1500...I've seen one, a terrific time and he does about an hour and a half...highly recommended if you want your talent in your home...

i wonder if that 4 mil for elton is solo or with his band. if its solo, it tops The Eagles in a way...

20. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I'd love to see one of those Francis Dunnery house concerts.

I saw The Eagles in 2005. Even if they were playing the house next door, I'd stay home.

21. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

you can book one yourself. A Buddy did one and charged us each $30 and put out some food and we had a really special evening with about 40 of his closest friends.

22. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Unfortunately, in this area, I know of only two people who even know who Francis is. I couldn't come close to breaking even.

23. PROG U.K.

That is solo. His one-off events are typically without the band. Minimal production costs to say the very least.

24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

400K for Jessica Simpson

25. PROG U.K.

Let's start collecting now! She doesn't even need to sing.

:shh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.