Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - CD Editions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Billy the Kid, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy the Kid

Billy the Kid Member Thread Starter

Hello I am trying to get information about all the Miles Davis Kind of Blue editions.

If you have information about some edition or you have the cd, i will be happy if you write the information about it: Label, Catalog Number - Ean Code . etc.

There are many editions that they are very similar, so it is necesary some information to be sure about what edition it is.

If you can put some pics, it will be better.

I think maybe very interesting because I have information about more than 50 different editions, and this post maybe interesting.

Only in cd, please.

Thanks in advance.

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

There are quite a few threads with info about the various editions of Kind of Blue. A search might help :)

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Have a look through some of the older threads type in "kind of blue" and check search titles only

Quite a bit of info in these threads :)

4. Billy the Kid

hello, thanks, but I have not seen one post about all the editions.

There are several post talking about the best edition, but I would like to know all the editions, the best and the others.

5. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

You will find photos of many CD editions here:

http://www.kind-of-blue.de/seiten/boxen/miles_kob_box.htm

What do you want to know about them?

There are only six different masterings. There are two of the original stereo mix, one from 1983 (my favorite) and one from 1986. There is a digital re-mix done in 1992 issued on gold CD. There is a re-mix done to analogue tape by Mark Wilder that all the recent CD have used, three different masterings plus a fourth from a boxset.

There are many different CDs over the years, but they all use one of those six masterings. Do you want Track peaks and catalogue numbers? It's a long list. . . .

Dan Steele likes this.
  6. Billy the Kid

Hello, thank you very much for you information.

I knew this web, and this is the basic web where I find information about the cd editions, but I have some editions that they are not in this web, and in the web there are editions I have not.

So if you have some edition in cd that there are not in this web, I would like to know about it.

I am trying to get information about all the editions, with a different cover, with a different cataloge number, with a differente number in the cd, with a different logo, the 40th french anniversary edition, etc, for example.

Information about all the editions that they are not in the web you say me.

Thanks.

7. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

I don't think I have any that are not on that web-page.

I mostly care about which editions sound different, ones that have different digital data on the disc. Not just a different logo. I do not mean to say your search is unworthy, I understand it, it is just not the way I collect.

The list I have is the editions listed on that web-page, sorted by which have different digital data. I can post that if you like, but it does not sound like what you are looking for.

Do you have a copy of the French 40th anniversary edition?

8. Billy the Kid

That's ok, like you say I am not looking for only different digital data.

And yes I have a copy of the French (numbered) 40th anniversary edition.

9. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

There is a Japan editon from the early ninties release as part of "The CD Club" series or released by the CD Club. I can't remember the catalogue number. Maybe FWCP-**** or FVCP, etc..

10. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

I have never seen one of those!

Do you happen to know what the track peak values are from an Exact Audio Copy rip?

11. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

Do you know if that one is the same mastering as the early 90's Mastersound Gold CDs?

12. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

Wait, is this the one:

COL 494853 2000

Sony Music Entertainment (France) S.A.
    Columbia Jazz, DigiPak Edition
    1959-1999 L'Edition Anniversaire "Collector"
    COL 494853 2
    S0106493510-0101 24 D1 (inner ring)
    IFPI 942A (clear section)
    1999, Austria, Stereo, (speed-corrected)
    DigiPak, French Edition
    Super Bit Mapping, SBM, Stereo

That's on there!

13. Billy the Kid

The French 40th Anniversary Edition I think that it is the same edition that:
    COL 494853 2000

I have this one with this number of catalog too, but the back cover is different in the French 40th aaniversary edition.

I have seen you have find when I was writting my post.

14. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I do not know.

15. Billy the Kid

Thanks, I think is:

FCCP 40230 SME RECORDS (THE CD CLUB)
    BAR CODE:*0423080101J*

If you need more information about the mastering, tell me it.

16. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

I see, thank you. Interesting.

That would be the same 1997 Mark Wilder mastering that was in print in the US until the 50th anniversary edition came out last year.

17. Is this the only mono version released on CD?
    I must admit I don't understand how it can be both a remix and mono, are the mono tapes lost so they had to create a new mono mix?

Has anyone heard it? Does it sound like the mono vinyl?

18. Billy the Kid

There are 2 mono editions.

The one edition you have writen in your post: CK64403 2

An this one:

480410 2
    Sony Music Entertainment Inc./"Columbia"
    Master Sound, Columbia/Legacy
    480410 2 (01-480410-10)
    DP-5794 3 (inner ring)
    DIDP 11256
    IFPI 451B (clear section)
    1995, Japan, Mono, (speed-corrected)
    Super Bit Mapping SBM, Gold-CD
    Digital Remix Engineer: Mark Wilder

(This infomation is from the web: www.kind-of-blue.de

Both are speed corrected and both are Master Sound Collector's edition.

Like the cd is speed corrected I suppous it doesn't sound like the first mono edition on vynil.

19. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

Does anyone have one of those that actually plays in mono? My guess it this is a miss-print on that website, and they are really stereo?

The original mono LPs were made from a mono tape that was recorded during the session in mono. These were spliced onto album order, and the LPs cut directly from the first generation tape. I had understood that those tapes were long gone by the CD era.

The stereo LPs were made from a three track tape recorded during the session, and later mixed to a two-track tape in a different studio by Irving Townsend. The original LPs, and the early CDs, were made from this mix. The early 90's Mastersound CD were made by transferring the three tracks directly into digital. The later 90's CD were made from a new analog two-track tape mixed by Mark Wilder.

Only the primary three-track tape had the incorrect speed. Neither the backup three-track, nor the mono primary or backup, had the problem. So, no mono LPs were ever incorrect speed.

Because the Mastersound listed there says "Mark Wilder Remix" and "Speed Corrected" it can't be the original mono mix.

20. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

OK, I just double-checked my US Columbia Mastersound Gold CD, bought new by me when it came out.

It matched all the above info exactly, catalog, matrix, etc. Looks exactly like the photos. That is the only CK64403 listed on that web-page.

Mine does not say "mono" anywhere on it.

It does not play mono, but stereo.

In fact, due to the fact that it is a digital re-mix, it has a wider stereo spread then any other Kind of Blue CD.

21. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

Probably worth repeating; All editions of Kind of Blue on vinyl in mono were the correct speed.

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

A member here under the ID dongle started an excellent thread on Kind of Blue a year or two ago. It's worth a read.

I love the original single-layer SACD and the original CBS/Sony CD mastering (Japanese catalog number 35DP 62 or U.S. catalog number CK 08163). The 50th anniversary remastered CD has gotten high praise here, but I haven't spent a lot of time with it. Some folks here also like recent Japanese remasters. I have the recent Japanese hybrid SACD, but again, I haven't listened to it much yet. :sigh:

23. Billy the Kid

In the Book: Kind of Blue: The Making of the Miles Davis Masterpiece

Say that the Columbia Staff dont see the problem, of the speed of the first track, and they use the master to press the album.

All the reeditions was doing using the Master "called C", so I said we are going to use the Security (called D), because they was less used... so I saw that the tracks sound differents. (Wilder)

This problem is only with the three first tracks (first record session)

About it is MONO or STEREO I only say that I have readen in the web I think that in the cd not say MONO or STEREO in any place.

24. Billy the Kid

In the CK 52861 (first master sound limited edition - long box) you can read:

From the Original Lp on, issues and re-issues of Miles Davis' Kidn of Blue have been marred by confusion and error. For this MaterSound release, we at Columbia/Legacy have tried to adhere as closely as possible to the artist's and producer's intentios, and we hope the following will answer some lon-standing questions.

Sessions for Kind of Blue took place at Columbia's 30th street studios on Monday, March 2, and Monday, April 6, 1959. Two other sessions were scheduled for March 10 and April 22: these may have been booked and cancelled; in any case, no tapes form them survive. The session tapes indicate that every take used on Kind of Blue was the first complete take of that composition. The only know complete alternate take was of "Flamenco Sketches" now included in the boxed Miles Davis: The Columbia Years.

Columbia's recording policy at that time was to run two tapes machines simultaneously, a master and a safety. At the March 2 sessions, the master machine was running slow, so that when the tapes were played back at the correct speed, the music was slightly faster -sharper- than the April 6 sessions. Over the years. many musicians have noticed that the first side of Kind of Blue (So What, Freddie Freeloader and Blue In Green) is about a quarter-tone sharp, and wondered what Miles could have had in mind. Acording to Teo Macero, the speed change was not intentional, and it is corrected there for the FIRST TIME, using the safety tapes.

(End of the transcription). Remember this edition is in 1992, so all before is wrong speed.

So continue talking about the mistake in the jackets with the name of the tracks of the Side Two.

I must to say that the only mistake that they had is that in the cover continue writting Adderly, not Adderley.

25. slapbass

slapbass Forum Resident

Your thread has inspired me to photograph all my versions of Kind of Blue. Photo 1 shows most of the discs; photo 2 the SACD/Master Sound/Blu-spec versions, and photo 3, boxed set, long box, cassette and MiniDisc versions.

Attached Files:

FJC1966 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.