Is the American version of Rebel Rebel by David Bowie very rare on 45?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PBo, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PBo

PBo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got a promo 45 single of the American version of "Rebel Rebel" by David Bowie today and I was wondering how rare the American version is as a 45 release? I tried to search the internet, but couldn't find much information. I'm referring to the alternate version of the song as opposed to the album version. On the Wikipedia listing for the song it mentions that the American version "was swiftly withdrawn and replaced by the UK single version".

I know this version is available on cd, but my question is, how long was the different American version available as a single release and how quickly was it replaced by the UK version? How swift is "swiftly withdrawn"? Does anyone who would have been listening during that era remember the American version getting much airplay?

2. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

I remember buying this same promo 45 just to get this version.

All I know is, the promo is the studio version with that "Li li li li li li li li li li" refrain that is prominent on the "David Live" version.

Got no clue what the UK version sounds like, or what the US stock pressing sounds like. I just assumed the US stock pressing sounded like the promo.

Despite "Rebel Rebel" being considered a classic and what not, it's not like it sold a lot as a single.

3. PBo

That's the version I have on the promo. As far as I'm aware the UK version just replicates the album version.

I'm wondering, how long was the US version available? Did is just make it to the promo stage? Did it get pressed as the standard US single? If so, how limited in supply was it before it was replaced with the UK version?

4. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

I do remember hearing the promo version on the radio at least once - thinking, WTF?

Now, you've got me curious to know when this promo version was prepared.

The whole Diamond Dogs thing is strange. Bowie records the album as pretty much a rock album, and then plays the songs "plastic soul" style on the tour!

Perhaps the promo version was done that way in preparation for or after they had done rehearsals or some dates on the tour, and it was decided they "liked" having that refrain in the song.....?

5. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

This wasn't only released as a promo - I've got a stock orange label RCA of this USA version b/w "Lady Grinning Soul". # APBO - 0287

Weird in that the b-side is from a different album.

Edit - I just went to the "Discogs" site and there is an earlier stock version with "Queen Bitch" as the b-side! It is cat # LPB 05009

6. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

7. jsayers

The Official DB Website discog only list the one I have with Lady Grinning Soul on the flip - not sure what the one with Queen Bitch is, it may be the lp version as the a-side on that one...

Rebel Rebel (Bowie): three different versions exist. The familiar version was released in edited and remixed form (4'22" instead of 4'31" and much more echoey than the album version) as the the first single from Diamond Dogs (RCA LPBO 5009). The Australian Rebel Rebel EP (RCA RCA 20610) features a shorter 4'06" edit. Further mixes of this version are found on bootlegs: a 'dry mix' ("BBC Version") was released on Absolutely Rare (no label) and The Axeman Cometh (DB003) has a "Mix 1", supposedly from a 1973 acetate, but this version is very similar (if not completely identical) to the regular single edit. The second version (often referred to as the US or "phased" version) is rumoured to be played entirely by Bowie. It was released in May 1974, three months after the first issue, but only in the US, Canada (both RCA APBO-0287) and Mexico (RCA SP-4049). The US single version was re-released on several bootleg singles and albums, before officially appearing on Sound + Vision II and the 30th Anniversary 2CD Edition of Diamond Dogs. In 2003, a newly recorded version was included on the Charlie's Angels - Full Throttle soundtrack, which too was included as a bonus track on the 2004 Diamond Dogs reissue. A Soulwax Edit is be found on their 50,000,000 Soulwax Fans Can't Be Wrong (Wiretap WTCD02). The 1974 performance on Top Pop was released on the Best Of Bowie DVD. David Live contains a live performance quite similar to US single version. Furthermore, 'Rebel Rebel' was featured on every tour following, including the shows performed in 2000 and 2002; it even opened most shows of the 2003/04 Reality tour. Other official live versions are available on the Serious Moonlight, Live Aid, Glass Spider and Reality DVDs.

8. jsayers

9. jsayers

It looks like the copy with "Queen Bitch" on the b-side was released in 1971.

The one I have, with "Lady Grinning Soul", was in 1974.

I'm willing to bet the 1971 version is the LP version, and didn't chart, so they remixed it and rereleased it in 1974.

What year is the promo single you have?

Here is a copy on Ebay right now, but I can't read the label...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAVID-BOWIE-reb...1551QQptZMusicQ5fonQ5fVinylQQsalenotsupported

10. PBo

Cool, thanks for all of the info!

The version show in the eBay listing you posted looks like the same version as mine. The label on it lists 1974 as the release year. The song is in Stereo on one side and repeated in Mono on the other side. The running time is listed as 2:58. BTW the mono mix doesn't sound much different than the stereo mix. I assume it's just a fold down of the stereo version, but it does sound a little more tonally pleasing to my ears (less bright than the stereo mix on my set-up). Also, the vinyl has "Sterling" stamped in the dead wax.

I'm about to call it a night, but I can post a picture of the label tomorrow if you like.

11. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Here's my US store copy:

Attached Files:

12. Larry Geller

Here's my store copy of the other one, which was released in 1973, not 1971:

Attached Files:

13. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

1971 refers to Queen Bitch, which was off Hunky Dory, Rebel Rebel was released in 1974.

This is what Ruud says about it;

Rebel Rebel (Bowie): three different versions exist. The familiar version was released in edited and remixed form (4'22" instead of 4'31" and much more echoey than the album version) as the the first single from Diamond Dogs (RCA LPBO 5009). The Australian Rebel Rebel EP (RCA RCA 20610) features a shorter 4'06" edit. Further mixes of this version are found on bootlegs: a 'dry mix' ("BBC Version") was released on Absolutely Rare (no label) and The Axeman Cometh (DB003) has a "Mix 1", supposedly from a 1973 acetate, but this version is very similar (if not completely identical) to the regular single edit. The second version (often referred to as the US or "phased" version) is rumoured to be played entirely by Bowie. It was released in May 1974, three months after the first issue, but only in the US, Canada (both RCA APBO-0287) and Mexico (RCA SP-4049). The US single version was re-released on several bootleg singles and albums, before officially appearing on Sound + Vision II and the 30th Anniversary 2CD Edition of Diamond Dogs. In 2003, a newly recorded version was included on the Charlie's Angels - Full Throttle soundtrack, which too was included as a bonus track on the 2004 Diamond Dogs reissue. A Soulwax Edit is be found on their 50,000,000 Soulwax Fans Can't Be Wrong (Wiretap WTCD02). The 1974 performance on Top Pop was released on the Best Of Bowie DVD. David Live contains a live performance quite similar to US single version. Furthermore, 'Rebel Rebel' was featured on every tour following, including the shows performed in 2000 and 2002; it even opened most shows of the 2003/04 Reality tour. Other official live versions are available on the Serious Moonlight, Live Aid, Glass Spider and Reality DVDs.

http://www.illustrated-db-discography.nl/SongPR.htm#R

14. Dr. Weber

Dr. Weber New Member

That is actually an erroneous phonogram date ... the P inside the circle... since "Rebel Rebel" was recorded in January 1974 at Ludolf Studios in Holland.

"Rebel Rebel" b/w "Queen Bitch" was issued in February 1974 in the U.K., two months prior to the release of Diamond Dogs, thus the old track on the B-side.

"Rebel Rebel" was recut in a New York studio in April 1974 and issued as an American single b/w "Lady Grinning Soul" in May 1974.

Now, what makes it all messy, iirc... and there are forum members who know the details... the British single was actually pressed in the U.S., thus the "made in the U.S." statement. What we have tried to determine in other threads is to what extent the British copies were sold in the U.S.... were they shipped to the U.K. and then returned, or were a few copies left behind to sell as imports, etc.?

Please refer to this thread by globule2...

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=4519395#post4519395

Dr. Weber

15. Dr. Weber

Dr. Weber New Member

"Rebel Rebel" was mentioned in the "Singles of Note" column in the May 18/74 Billboard, page 64, meaning that it wasn't reviewed and expected to chart high...

The Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart activity for "Rebel Rebel"...

June 1/74 - debuted at #85
    June 8/74 - #81
    June 15/74 - #72
    June 22/74 - #64 - its peak position
    June 29/74 - #73
    July 6/74 - #69
    July 13/74 - #68
    July 20/74 - #89

In all, "Rebel Rebel" charted for only 8 weeks, getting no higher than #64.

Were these singles only the American edition or a mixture of British and American? Few singles were sold in the States because the Hot 100 chart also included radio airplay. But I have no recollection of ever hearing "Rebel Rebel" on a commercial station out here in the heartland...

Dr. Weber

16. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Judging from the typesetting, and especially the way the opening and closing quotes for the LP title were presented on the B-side, I presume that this was a specially pressed U.S. copy (would there by any chance be markings on the deadwax indicating a pressing by Indianapolis, IN? - I doubt that this pressing would've come from Canada). And it would seem that this issue was early 1974, with 1973 being a reference to when recorded.

17. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Count me as having this copy, too. (With the same label copy fonts and all.) And I've actually come to prefer the "phased" short version as on this U.S. issue.

18. dickens12@excite

dickens12@excite Forum Resident

I heard it on the radio a lot back in '74. In fact, I liked it so much, I bought the single. It WAS the version with the chanting. I remember being disappointed the first time I heard the album version with the chanting missing.

19. Dr. Weber

Dr. Weber New Member

It's worth noting that the Billboard Hot 100 chart uses the APBO-0287 catalogue number rather than the LPB05009 catalogue number...

20. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

That's not bad a chart position for a Bowie single back then. I believe his only previous hit in the US was Space Oddity. I think the re-recording is inferior to the original version, and can only assume he was going for a more American sound in an effort to crack the charts over there.

Frittenköter likes this.
  21. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Why does that LPB catalog number strike me as seemingly unfamiliar? Was this a numbering system that didn't last too long?

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Chip TRG,

Apparently a US pressing for export sale in the UK. Never seen this prefix otherwise. Best guess I can give you. Unusual for a US (for UK Sale) item to be done.

23. PBo

Here's the label for the promo version:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Larry Geller

Both of my copies were bought as regular US releases, not as imports.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I have this version as well. I got it for free, before the street release date, when I attended a Saturday morning session at the Preview House in LA. This place (which I assume is no longer there) would have these sessions every Saturday where they'd get a bunch of kids in, play them new records, and record their reaction to the songs--research looking for the next hit. (In the evenings, they'd preview TV shows and whatnot).

I remember playing Rebel Rebel once and not being too interested. I did love Lady Grinning Soul, however, and played that side a bunch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.