Ortofon 2m Red vs Blue?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jonno, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident Thread Starter

Done a quick search but can't find any direct comparisons. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm starting to really like the sound of the Ortofon 2m Red on my Project RPM6, I'm getting a mellow, room filling sound I never heard from my old Debut. Really comfortable to listen to. It just seems occasionally challenged by high frequencies, so I'm looking (eventually) at the convenient upgrade of a 2m Blue stylus.

Can anyone say if this is a significant improvement? Is it a kind of 2m Red that tracks better, or are there further differences? Like I say, I'm generally happy with the Red, I'm not in a hurry to upgrade (unless it's gonna knock my socks off obviously).

Thanks for reading this entirely self-serving post.

2. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

Are you using a phono preamp?

3. Jonno

No, my Sony TAFB940R has a dedicated input.

4. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

On my system I heard the Red on a Rega P2 with the RB250 arm.

I'm currently running the Blue on a VPI HW19 MKIII with an RB300 arm.

Of course these are different setups and will effect the final sound - however the Blue gets the nod for the treble quality and overall 'rightness'. Of course the differences on the same table may be minimal but I will say that the Blue is one heck of a tracker.

Faceman and Heckto35 like this.
  5. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

Then I would suggest you try Barry's inner bicycle tube, straw with platform isolation technique first. I have Rega P1 with OM 5E cartridge and OM10 stylus. WIthout the innertube platform, the difference between the two is noticeble... more refined with the OM10 stylus but not dramatic.

When I did the inner tube isolation, it was a world of difference. The lower frequencies are lower and the high are higher. The refinement was drastically different and much more natural. I highly recommends you trying it before buying or swapping out the cartridge.

6. Jonno

Cool! There's a lot of variables with this turntable business isn't there... I'm a relative newbie and used to the concept of, "you want better, you buy better and plug it in"...

7. bliss53

bliss53 Forum Resident

I have a m2 blue that I have on my thorens td150 with a sme 3009 improved and eastern minimax phono. I am very happy with it. This weekend I mounted a m2 black on a td124 with a michel modified rega 250 with a mac 2200 mm phono. The setting up was bit of trial and error but when it was right it really bloomed. Extremely well balanced with a smooth delivery. Best MM I have heard. Save up and go for the black. It is definitely worth the extra money.

8. Jonno

OK, I shan't buy another cart just yet. Besides, I keep forgetting - as Antares suggested in another thread - the Red might need a bit more running in.

Good excuse to go play some records.

Thanks people!

9. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I have the 2M Bronze and I am happy with that immensely!

dbsea, John Bliss and Repeter13 like this.
  10. bliss53

bliss53 Forum Resident

The black was very good out of the box. I can't wait for it to break in and get even better.

11. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Well, I won't say it'll be as good as a Blue, Jonno, as I haven't used one. From what I've seen and heard, the Blue should retain the Red's "body" with improvements in the higher frequencies (as can be expected from a better diamond).

I have a lot of female vocal stuff (with the potential for sibilance) and I'll admit that some of these had me worried in the first couple of months, whereby I can understand that some people might lose their patience with it. But the sheer drive and punch of this thing kept me hanging in there (not to mention that it looks like a fat Merc at speed on the Autobahn when in action). Now I'm at a point where I'll be pleasantly surprised and think, wow, this is much better on those same records. I only have a modest vintage deck though, that's why I was curious about how it fared on your new Pro-Ject. Anyway, don't be afraid to experiment with your setup to try and get the best out of it.

When I got my Red last summer, I also thought my next upgrade would be a Blue stylus, but 2M prices have dropped some (here on the continent at least) since introduction, making the Bronze stylus relatively affordable, so that would be the plan. But I'm trying to get hold of a Denon DL-160 first as I have a feeling they'll either be discontinued or much more expensive if they have to do a new run of them in Japan. The Ortofons will always be there I gather.

12. Hazuki

Hazuki Active Member

I like my RB-251 mounted 2M Blue a lot, but I'm also always interested in trying other cartridges when it's replacement time.

However, the biggest improvement to sound quality with my arm-cartridge combination was when I made a headshell gasket out of a Herbie's Audio Lab "grungebuster" damping sheet and then mounted two of the same Herbie's "Hal-O Jrs" damping instruments on the arm tube. Stylus tracing really seems to have smoothed out and resonance is way down.

russk likes this.
  13. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

Just a question here, i have a 2M red mounted to my table, i also have a brand new 2M blue, should i just switch the styli or should i completely dismount the 2M red and put on the 2M blue. Is there any difference in these 2 carts other then the styli

14. Phono Groove

Phono Groove Forum Resident

Hi, I've been reading extensively on the 2m series for the last few days , the answer is yes, you can change them. The only difference is the stylus , the red and the blue have the same body.

15. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I so love my 2M Blue. I'm at about 180-200 hrs now and it's just singing beautifully. Warm and gorgeous... :)

16. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

I just put the 2M blue on my table, wow this sounds good, i really am getting addicted to the LP sound

P Lynch likes this.
  17. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

I just installed a Red on my TT and I'm initially quite happy. It tracks very well. I have a very beat up UK mono White Album that skipped on every other track when I had a Stanton 681 EEE and it plays like a charm with the Ortofon. It's good to know I can just upgrade the stylus when I feel the need.

18. Jonno

OK, I have a confession to make. I went ahead and bought the Blue!

My justification was, I know I'm going to upgrade eventually, and it could take years to wear out both the Reds I've acquired. Why not sell the Reds now and upgrade? Impatience basically.

Anyway, a few hours in and the Blue is a big improvement over my somewhat run-in Red. It solves issues in the top end I'd previously just accepted as part of vinyl playback. I've heard no sibilance at all yet! I played an old World Record Club LP of Mozart's Flute & Harp concerto, and it just sounded great - there was a clarity and air around the attack of the harp notes the Red would have fuzzed over. No lack of richness in the bass either. Doesn't sound like vinyl, or like CD - it just sounds like music. I'm looking forward to any further improvements as the cartridge runs in.

This is just a novice's experience, I appreciate that there are better cartridges and a lot of folks around here are using them. For me, the Red was great but kept reminding me I could do better, while the Blue on my RPM6 is a setup I can very happily live with! Phew.

19. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Good for you, Jonno! Sounds like you're all set for a while :agree:. That nude diamond really makes a difference, thanks for giving your first hand experience.

20. Hazuki

Hazuki Active Member

21. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing your experiences with these carts. I bought a 2M Blue today, but I very nearly walked away with the Red. I decided to get the better cart, without not yet knowing where the improvements would be. So now I won't have to worry that.

The 2M series really is spectacular. The Blue feels like the best traits from the 440mla and DL-160 mashed together. Very detailed and precise, very warm, excellent dynamic range, and the tracking (so very important) is superb. And it's very musical and warm, too, but without being pushy or overly done. Does that make any sense?

It's great to see that a great phono cart won't have to cost a fortune. And it's also great that I can step down from the Dyna 10x5 and still enjoy the music.

22. Kingof punk1977

Kingof punk1977 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. I used to use MC cartridges but I got fed up with the expense ,ultra delicate care and the hit & miss sound with various pressings . Two years ago I bought an Ortofon 2m Red because I could not afford to replace a Denon DL304 (It went up from £210 to £429!!!) & I was expecting an ok sound....Wow very clean , very powerful, even handed on all pressings & perhaps not the finese of a moving coil but it had the POWER & DRIVE OF LIVE MUSIC. In fact the most enjoyable cartridge I have ever used. I was tempted to try the 2m Blue but I stuck with the Red. It's that good! I am playing vinyl now on my Gyrodec & it sounds superb!

Geoffsterpiano likes this.
  23. Geoff Chandler

Geoff Chandler Well-Known Member

The 2M Blue sounds very good on my Gyrodec - however - with all my teweakes and changes it is still brighter than CD - so I cannot describe it as warm at all - neutral with a treble lift more like - I suspect the Red is a more balanced over sound!
    I have Got myeself and external Phono Stage - swapped the RB 300 non VTA arm for a Tecno arm and also fine tuned the set up etc - tracking band 3 of HFS75
    yet still a bit bright and showy at the top - I have had some great MC's and this is very clear in the mids and tight in the bass - not wquite like a Black but getting there - yet I long for a slightly more gentle top and I like my clear top ends - So it is a little too much IMO

Darren Richardson likes this.
  24. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

I have a 2M red in my rega PR1 with RB250 arm, feeding a rega phono amp.
    I agree with your assessment of it, but more; I have a 2M blue stylus coming tomorrow. I will be in a position to give you a detailed answer in a couple of days.

25. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

I'm still a newbie and don't know what this tweek is, please tell me more?
    Have you tried the bucket of water next to the turntable tweek?
    I love tweeks and in my experience most of them do really work.
    I have my rega PR1 on glass, heat treated super cooled, I can tell you that definitely works too.
    I tried the tennis balls cut in half and that was brilliant, but it looked tatty and she who must be obeyed 'ordered' me to remove them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.