REM Japan CD question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eelkiller, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed Thread Starter

A question for people in the know about early Japan for Japan REM pressings on CD.

What were the first Japan CD pressings for:

Murmur
    Reckoning
    Fables of the Reconstruction
    Document

I think the 32DP for Life's Rich Pageant was the first version for that album but what about the others??

2. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I have "Document" - 32DP-842

3. eelkiller

Thanks Darcy, I have never seen any of the others in 1980's versions. The earliest I have seen are the CSCS discs (1991).

4. progmog

progmog Senior Member

That's correct, Barry, those 90's CSCS pressings are the first 'Made in Japan' for Japan pressings. However, I'm fairly certain that there were 'Made in Japan' for US pressings of 'Murmur', 'Reckoning' and possibly even 'Fables...', which were issued in the 80's. Hope that helps :wave:

5. warren

warren Forum Resident

Correct (emphasis mine). I've got one of Murmur "Made in Japan" for US. It sounds like a halfway point from the US pressing to the MFSL in terms of both bass and treble. Some tracks sound great, some okay. The CSCS has a better "Perfect Circle" than the JPN-for-US, imo. Barry might already know that.

He is indeed asking about JPN-for-JPN though, so my info means little to him in that regard.

6. eelkiller

:wave: Thanks Owais, Mystery solved for all discs. Thanks to everyone who responded.

FWIW there were Japan for US versions for Document and Life's Rich Pageant as well as the ones Owais listed.

:wave: Hi Warren, we can never have too much info on REM CD's. The CSCS and your Murmur Japan for USA definitely differ in sound. Thanks again for your assistance.

7. warren

warren Forum Resident

And thank you for yours! Now to decide whether I want to purchase the CSCSs...

:D

8. warren

warren Forum Resident

I searched "Murmur," on the forum Barry, and saw that you bought a JPN pressing in Classifieds. Are you going to post the matrix info and peak values if the disc is unique?

9. eelkiller

Hi Warren,

I have not received the CD as of yet but will do that for you. I have some other new REM stuff as well (Japan CSCS Reckoning, Fables and Document (thanks for that one Darcy).

I will update this thread with any new info once i get around to it. :D

10. warren

warren Forum Resident

:D

Thanks Barry.

Is it obvious that I'm obsessed? :winkgrin:

11. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Join the club Warren - join the club...... :D
    We're all pretty much obsessed with something or another here :wave:

12. eelkiller

Ok Warren,

I just received the Murmur Japan for USA disc (Matrix CD 70604 1A4 5X) and I checked the first few tracks via EAC and they match George P's disc report (see Murmur deluxe thread of months past). I also found a USA AM+ (DADC) disc to compare and it matches the IRS Years Holland disc.

Now to find a Japan for USA Reckoning and Fables.

13. warren

warren Forum Resident

Cool info, Barry, thanks! Interesting that the matrix numbers are slightly different. I've seen 1A9 62 on other posts here about other AM+ discs, but not 1A4 5X. Cool.

14. eelkiller

On the other hand I do need Lasik or new glasses so maybe the number is wrong :)

15. warren

warren Forum Resident

:laugh:

16. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

One of the first CD's I ever bought in early '87 was Dead Letter Office. And my copy was Made IN USA. The martix # is DIDX 1541 11A5.
    Has anyone ever seen any Made In Japan copies of this?

17. warren

warren Forum Resident

Looks like I found one on eBay.

Item number 260378854600. Seller lives in the UK. The cd is black, like MOFIs. Isn't that weird?

18. warren

warren Forum Resident

I'm guessing that this JPN Dead Letter Office isn't from the '80s though.

19. eelkiller

Is it a CSCS disc? It may be the same year as the Reckoning, Murmur and Fables discs I received. Those discs do have a black label. Looks as if only Document and Pageant had 80's versions (Japan for Japan).

Those discs are from the early 90's and sound real nice.

20. warren

warren Forum Resident

I couldn't tell ya if it's a CSCS, Barry, the picture's not real clear and the listing is bare-bones on the info. Search 'R.E.M. japanese' on eBay (US version, anyways) and you'll find it way at the bottom of the search results (as I type this).

21. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

It's kind of weird one.

22. warren

warren Forum Resident

Kinduva steep price too. Oh well.

23. eelkiller

Found it - That is a 1991 CSCS disc. I don't havethat one but for a disc listed as "good" and no Obi that is too steep.

24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Okay, so the CSCS are the first japan pressings for all the 80's releases, except Document and Pageant? is that correct?

25. warren

warren Forum Resident

No, the CSCSs are from '91, and are preceded by the JPN-for-US pressings, which came out in the '80s. The first pressings from Japan in the '80s were for the US market. The JPN-for-US cds looks identical to the stock US pressings that are still sold in stores.

The CSCSs are, to my knowledge, the first JPN-for-JPN releases.

wrappedinsky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.