The Smiths Back Catologue Remastered?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

I've just been watching the TOTP2 Christmas Special and they showed a TOTP performance from 1984 by The Smiths performing "What Difference Does It Make".
    Afterwards Steve Wright (the shows host) said that aswell as the recent new compilation album (The Sound Of The Smiths) the whole back catologue is soon to be remastered. I've searched high and low for an article about this on the web but can't find anything. The TOTP2 episode was new and not a repeat. It was made in 2008. This is long overdue especially for The Queen Is Dead and Meat Is Murder. I just hope it's true. There's certainly enough B-sides and outtakes that could be added to these albums.

P.S. For any Americans or Canadians reading this TOTP stands for Top Of The Pops which was a famous music programme we had here in the U.K.
    TOTP2 is a spin-off show that shows classic clips aswell as new songs.

2. roro1

roro1 New Member

Yes the back cataloge has been redone.Aleast i think it has from reading about the new singles box they just did.
    When you might see new remaster's i don't know as morrissey could care less.He does not get a penny i think.I think joyce gets most of the profits.Atleast up to some monetary value or time limit.

3. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=168658&highlight=smiths+singles

I'm happy to have all the original albums and 12" singles because it sounds like, if the reviewer is correct, that they were mastered 'hot', and the originals are not like that at all. The midrange is what I love about the originals. I don't want to bombarded with upper frequencies. I also don't like 7" records for some reason.

4. roro1

roro1 New Member

They took off the eq.The drums really move upfront.William it's really nothing is too hot as morrissey's voice distorts a bit.Otherwise it's a very fun listen.The early smiths stuff allways sounded a bid dull to me.Whatever they did to the 7 inch boxset makes the songs off the smiths album very exciteing.Over half of the set is early stuff it seems.
    If you have the original 12 inch's im sure your very happy.

5. I won't get excited until I hear positive comments about them here. The current CDs are no sonic wonders, but you never know what they're going to do with modern mastering technology.

6. MOSSTWO

MOSSTWO New Member

We can only hope for the best. The original pressings of the RT CDs are too hard to find and the current discs could be better. To bad the people involved who really could make a difference don't seem to care.

Moss

7. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

!!?? :confused: I scored all my RT cds in the last year for under $20 each. Just last week I got a RT "The Queen Is Dead" for $15 right here on this forum's classifieds. For original cds that are over 20 years old those aren't bad prices, methinks...it's a buyer's market right now, try again - you'll be glad you did.

8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I'll just be happy to have everything in a nice new package and done right. I'm pretty happy with the sound on Sound of the Smiths. I also wish they'd do a nice 2 disc set like the Joy Division remasters, where you have a live show tacked on . For example, on the Meat Is Murder set, you could have the Oxford 85 complete show that the Joke Isnt Funny b sides came from. Add the hard to find Peel tracks to Hatful of Hollow, like the Last Night I Dreamt b sides & Miserable Lie plus the other handful of BBC tracks unreleased. Add the proper uncollected b sides to their respective album, like I Keep Mine Hidden to Strangeways, Jeane to The Smiths, etc etc etc.

I figured its all impossible while Mike Joyce lived and breathed, but with Sound of Smiths & The Singles box, we're getting closer than the Beatles are!

9. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

A quote from me in another Smiths thread:

10. everton

everton Forum Resident

I hope that they also re-issue their live album Rank. I listened to it again today and it sounded as fresh as ever. I read somewhere that there were four songs from that concert that were excluded from the album, including I Want the One I Can't Have and There Is a Light That Never Goes Out. I really hope that they put these songs in the re-issued version (if they do re-issue it).

11. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I would love to see an expanded Rank. :righton:

12. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I've never heard "Rank", as much as I love The Smiths. I guess I'll seek the Rough Trade cd out. Remasters: heh. Bound to be a let-down, unless you listen to your music on an I-Pod....:shake:

Remember Joy Division, New Order, XTC, Killing Joke, Pete Townshend, Clash, etc. remasters? Shall I go on? Almost always awful, unfortunately....

13. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I agree, but I'd want it for the *additional* tracks, if any are there. ;)

But Brighter than 1000 Suns by KJ is supposed to have the original mix. That's a "remaster" worth picking up.

14. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

any news or updates on whether we will see the Smiths albums remastered?

15. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Remastered LPs of The Smiths, Meat is Murder, The Queen is Dead and Strangeways Here We Come are out already. I haven't seen any news on CD remasters.

16. hutlock

17. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

I should have been more specific with my query-any news on remastered CDs?

18. hutlock

In that case... nope! :)

But I'd have to imagine that if they did the remastering for the LPs that CDs can't be too far behind...

19. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

It is quite possible. I found out that the CD Singles Box was released on July 3rd at Amazon.com. (http://www.amazon.com/Singles-Box-Set-2009-Remasters/dp/B002ASVRE8/). It is the same box that was released a few months back as 45rpms singles.

20. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

21. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

22. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

And it STILL doesn't have the studio version of "The Draize Train"! :realmad:

23. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I never heard The Sound of the Smiths but I have the uk The Very Best of and I'm definately happy with the sound of that comp.Will definately be picking up a remastered Queen Is Dead.I would think the cd remasters would be out by the end of the year but who really knows?

24. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Because the collection stops at the single before its release.

25. hutlock

Ha! Beat me to it, Gems! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.