U2 - Achtung Baby / Zooropa / Pop - Best CD versions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SergioRZ, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi,

I already have all the preceding U2 CD's, and I opted for the first press Japanese versions (P35D nd P33D) because they sound very good, some of them are the best sounding versions in existence IMHO.

Now, I want to do the same (that is, to get the best sounding versions) for these other U2 albums:

- Achtung Baby (1991)
    - Zooropa (1993)
    - Pop (1997)

Are there different masterings for these albums on CD worldwide? Are the japanese first press ersions different from the european or US versions, regarding sound quality / mastering used?

I've found references to some special editions from Japan with extra tracks on them... other thatn the extra tracks, is the sound different and any better?

Please help me determine what versions I should get.

Thank you very much!
    :righton:

2. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member Thread Starter

3. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

The original CD's I bought (in Canada) for those 3 titles (in 91, 93 and 97 respectively) are perfectly fine sounding.

Just pick up the "domestic" versions of these discs; I find it hard to believe there would be a big difference in the sound of these titles if you purchased multiple copies...

4. 905

905 Senior Member

I agree.

5. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

True.
    I also believe that, starting with Achtung Baby, U2 had someone especially appointed to quality control (Cheryl Engels). One of her tasks was to make sure all pressings from all over the world sounded the same.
    So there shouldn't be any different masterings, no matter where the CD was pressed. And I guess the pressing differences should be minimal, if any exist.

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I think the POP cd has some very minor ALT MIXES/EDITS of a couple songs on international versions, not sure which countries. Same mastering.

7. I consider Achtung to be the best sounding U2 recording, bar none.

And, I usually get jumped on with both feat because of it. :)

Seriously, I remember reading reviews of AB when it came out complaining about the sound quality. I have to think that those "critics" listened to the opening of Zoo Station with its deliberately distorted sounds, and never went any further.

A shame really, because the overall tonal balance of AB is about as good as it gets for a rock recording, in particular the solidity of the bass and drums.

This is one title where nothing good can be accomplished in a remastering, IMHO.

Brian

8. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

IIRC the single versions were all slightly or even drastically different mixes/edits save for "Staring at the Sun" which I believe was the regular album version.

9. SoundAdvice

AB doesn't really sound better on vinyl. I have the full album and a 12 inch single and they both sound like digital source. Oddly, Pop/Zooropa sound way better on vinyl. All the 80's stuff sound better on vinyl.

I don't think there was much vinyl sonic improvement on BOMB or ATYCLB.

10. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

I think the only alternative edit that officially is on the Malaysian edition, where an f-bomb has been removed on Wake Up Dead Man.
    :shh:

11. Drexler_McStyles

Drexler_McStyles Active Member

Zooropa was the last U2 CD with good mastering. Pop is compression city. I dont think there is a good mastering of that album anywhere

12. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

So not even Japanese releases of the later albums would be an improvement over the Canadian/US releases? Disappointing :( I have everything on vinyl but am always looking for the best sounding U2 disc on RBCD. Was hoping for some hidden bit of knowledge that would help me track it down. I guess U2 needs to get remastered their new albums as well!

13. Petimetre

Petimetre New Member

Hello, I have two versions of this record. The 2006 japanese version (UICY-6570) sounds way better than the regular 1991 Island version (262110). Clearer and more defined sound. Hope this helps.

14. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

Is that of Pop or Zooropa?

15. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

I think he means AB, since that came out in 1991. I had no idea it had been reissued in Japan in 2006. Cool.

16. SoundAdvice

1991 is a hint.

17. Petimetre

Petimetre New Member

Excuse me, I was refering to Atchung Baby. My english is not very good and I can´t describe the differences, but I can recommend the japanese version without a doubt.

18. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Welcome to the forum.

19. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

Heh, didn't read that :)

20. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

Oh your English was plenty fine, far better than my Spanish! I had just quickly read your response without taking note of the date :D

21. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Why do I get this horrible feeling I am just about to provide stimulus to the Japanese economy, based on your post... :sigh:

22. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

Just to follow up on this, these are the EAC levels for BOTH the US version (314-510 490 2) AND the Japanese version (UICY-6570):

Track 1
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 2
    Peak level 97.3 %
    Track 3
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 4
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 5
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 6
    Peak level 99.9 %
    Track 7
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 8
    Peak level 88.5 %
    Track 9
    Peak level 99.9 %
    Track 10
    Peak level 99.9 %
    Track 11
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 12
    Peak level 91.7 %

Both of these have the same exact EAC levels. I believe Petimetre may have heard a difference due to the (possibly) more rigid production standards of the Japanese issue CDs but any differences would be subjective. BTW, I also aspire to hearing slight (improved sound) differences in the Japan CDs that measure out within EAC to be the same as their American issues.

23. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

I should mention that the EAC levels mentioned in my previous post are for ACHTUNG BABY.

24. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I ran an EAC comparison between the original 1993 Japanese and US cd versions of Zooropa this morning. The result: they are the same.

Here are the EAC levels taken from the 1993 Japanese cd:

Track 1: Zooropa.wav
    Peak level 99.9 %
    Track 2: Babyface.wav
    Peak level 99.9 %
    Track 3: Numb.wav
    Peak level 99.9 %
    Track 4: Lemon.wav
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 5: Stay (Faraway, So Close!).wav
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 6: Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car.wav
    Peak level 88.9 %
    Track 7: Some Days Are Better Than Others.wav
    Peak level 97.9 %
    Track 8: The First Time.wav
    Peak level 98.8 %
    Track 9: Dirty Day.wav
    Peak level 100.0 %
    Track 10: The Wanderer.wav
    Peak level 99.9 %

25. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Some of the songs from this album were remixed or even re-recorded for single release, but I think the album versions are the same around the world. The Malaysian edit is the only difference I know of.

The Japanese version of Pop comes in a fatboy jewel case in order accommodate a huge extra booklet. And there's a bonus track, "Holy Joe (Guilty Mix)," which can also be found on the "Discotheque" singles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.