Which Neil Young shows would you like to see officially released?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Danny, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny

Danny Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, we may never see Archives or the last two of the missing six on CD. But hey we can hope, right?

There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable Neil fans on the forums here who know far more about this stuff than I do, so I thought I'd ask the question.

Which Neil Young shows would you like to see officially released?

I wouldn't mind seeing the Carnegie Hall show from 12/70 released. If there were good sounding tapes of it anywhere. There's some good quips with the audience during that show. And great songs.

I don't know if there's anything from that '76 tour of Japan. That'd be cool too.

2. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

some of the recent shows supporting Chrome Dreams 2, from last fall, where he played all of those obscure songs like Kansas, Sad Movies, Mexico, The Sultan, etc

3. jostber

jostber Forum Resident

4. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

Oh yeah, a sampler from the Santa Monica Flyers Tonight's the Night tour would be special too

5. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Another vote for something off of this year's tour, especially if they can manage to include his encore cover of "A Day In The Life".

6. Danny

Danny Senior Member Thread Starter

Oh yeah - The Manchester England show is interesting. Congrats on your 1000th post. :thumbsup:

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the show from the Young Man's fancy boot...

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The 1976 Budokan gisgs were recorded/filmed, as were a few UK 76 gigs too.

For me:

The Roxy 1973
    1977 Santa Cruz w/The Ducks
    1978 Chicago *Dad was at that show!
    1982 Berlin...I love the DVD and wish i had the full show on 2 cd's.
    01-29-1991, Rosemont Horizon, Chicago, Illinois *** I was there!***

9. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

Are there any '70s era acoustic shows where he used his 12-string for all or most of the performance? Like the first few songs on Live Rust. I'd love to hear more along those lines. If not, another good acoustic show similar to the Massey Hall would do.

10. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

My personal Neil holy grail (and I disagree about the description of the acoustic set):

Neil Young & The Restless
    Bronco Bowl
    Dallas, Texas
    January 14, 1989

Comes A Time
    Sugar Mountain
    The Needle And The Damage Done
    Someday
    The Wrecking Ball
    For The Turnstiles
    This Old House
    Four Strong Winds
    Heart Of Gold

Heavy Love
    Don't Cry
    Cocaine Eyes
    Eldorado
    Box Car
    Like A Hurricane
    Mr. Soul
    Cinnamon Girl
    Down By The River
    Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
    On Broadway
    Tonight's The Night

"In the winter of 1988, Young and the Restless hit the road, blasting through Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas and Louisiana, then up through the Northwest. I loaned fan Dave McFarlin a tape recorder to capture a couple of the shows, and he and a buddy drove around the clock to catch up with Young. They would be rewarded with one of the wildest gigs of Young's career, at the Bronco Bowl in Dallas, Texas.
    The Bronco Bowl was an "old relic of a place", said McFarlin. "It was just a hole-an actual bowling alley, with an archery range and a huge parking lot with grass growin' through the asphalt. Neil's name was lit up on a sign under a big bowling pin. I loved the place." Pro wrestling had been there the night before.
    At first, McFarlin was disappointed by a lackluster acoustic set. "Young played all the slow, old songs-mainly the hits, 'Sugar Mountain', 'Heart Of Gold'-he sounded like he was about to fall over. He looked like the oldest man in the world." But when Young came back out for the electric set, dressed in a JUST SAY NO T-shirt, he was "completely different. He looked twenty years younger."
    The band change had been so hasty that McFarlin had been expecting the Bluenotes, and he was flabbergasted by the sonic abuse that ensued. "Young just thrashed around the stage, screamin'-he was goin' like a nut." Young's mangling of "On Broadway" shook the building to the rafters. "He stood with his back to the amps, hit that low note, got that vibration going and let the feedback vibrate him. It was insane." Young got so carried away during one number that he "jumped up in the air and landed on his *** in a sitting position-Indian style, like a pretzel. I don't know how he didn't break his back."
    It was total mayhem, and McFarlin was in heaven."
    Pg. 629 "Shakey-Neil Young's Biography"

11. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

Huh. I had no idea. If I did, I would have stayed at 999 for a while, just to enjoy the symmetry!

The acoustic solo tour from 1999 is another fascinating tour, where he did a lot of obscure and rarely played songs.

12. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The various gigs from the TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT era described in Shakey sound interesting.

13. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

1974 Bottom Line acoustic
    w/Citizen Kane Jr Blues, Pardon My Heart, etc

14. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Seconded, except I think I'd always prefer the low-fidelity of the boot.

Neil's most important show, and probably his best. I have the same feeling about this one too. I think I'd prefer the boot.

I'd like to see something from the 1988 Bluenotes tour. Hell, he already put it together. It's called This Note's For You Too and it sits on the shelf.

A couple one-offs I think are really interesting are the 11/19/1977 Miami and the 10/3/80 shows. Both were the only shows (excluding the Ducks, which should also see release) he played in those years, and both feature unreleased songs.

15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

February 25, 1970...Music Hall in Cincinnati.

I was there...it was my 18th birthday...it was magic.

I've had the bootleg since 1972, but it would be cool to have the real thing in the best fidelity possible.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'd love to hear Sugar Mountain in better fidelity from that show as well as most of the others...

back in the early 70's I wore that album out!
    IIRC, it was a different title? and a single LP...I fondly remember the B&W cheapo photo!

17. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I've only known it as Youngman's Fancy, but it's been booted under other titles too. That version of "Sugar Mountain" is the one where he stops in the middle and says that the lyrics "Now you're underneath the stairs
    And you're givin' back some glares, to the people who you met and it's your first cigarette" are the lamest he's ever written. Good stuff. That show was my first recording of live solo Neil. It was a revelation to hear all of those songs without the applause of instant recognition.

18. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

10/4/78 Boston Garden - great show that I attended. I believe one song made it onto Live Rust.

19. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

I'd love to see the Royal Festival Hall show from 71 officially released. Fantastic versions of a Man Needs a Maid and Nowadays Even Clancy Can't Sing. My favourite Neil show i've ever heard.

20. barzzz

barzzz Forum Resident

I would like one of his shows with The Bluenotes, in which he plays "Crime In The City" with the extra verses, before "Freedom" was released.

21. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

I've got a decent cassette of NY w/ Booker T & the MG's - Torhout, Belgium, 3-Jul-1993 -- Great show includes a stellar version of rarity "Seperate Ways." An official release would be great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.