The White Stripes on Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drexler_McStyles, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drexler_McStyles

Drexler_McStyles Active Member Thread Starter

The White Stripes CD's are a perfect example of bad modern mastering. Most of their songs/albums are brickwalled and horribly compressed sounding. SOOOOOOOOOO...We all know how great Icky Thump sounds on vinyl but what about the other albums? Is there a marked improvement over the CD's? Which titles stand out?

scottc1963 likes this.
  2. Drexler_McStyles

Does no one have these albums? After reading a couple other threads It seems like there are actually people who think the CD's sound good?! The logic being that because its loud, hard rock the compression is OK/doesnt matter?! How does that make any sense? All you have to do is compare the 2 masterings of Icky Thump to see how ridiculous that presumption is.....Anyone?

3. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

All of their music sounds better on record...
    Go and purchase all of them 'cause you won't be sorry!

4. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

The only thing to be aware of is that the US pressing of Elephant (the one on the colored vinyl) tends to be noisy. If that's an issue to you, you might seek out the UK pressing on black vinyl, which is supposedly much quieter.

5. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Hate to sound like a vinyl snob, but based on what I've heard, in this case it's true.

6. I have read on another forum, where most members are CD buyers who thought records were dead and gone, that the difference of White Stripes albums on CD vs vinyl is like night and day and the vinyl wins, hands down, no contest.

To me, that answered the question before I'd even asked it! If people who don't like vinyl are saying it sounds WAY better and they would now rather buy the vinyl release over CD of any future White Stripes album, that's just got to say something!

I don't own any White Stripes albums yet but they are on my list of albums to get. They're one of those bands where I hear one of their songs and I start groving along and loving it, but then I keep forgetting to buy them for some reason :rolleyes: I honestly don't know why.....

7. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

If you finally buy them and like them be sure to check out The Raconteurs, Jack White's newest band. Their new album Consolers of the Lonely is awesome and the Vinyl is mastered by Kevin Gray.

8. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

I've got the red vinyl "White Blood Cells" and it smokes the cd. The white vinyl "Candy Cane Children", not so much, haha.

9. gohill

gohill Senior Member

I have a standard black vinyl UK pressing of Elephant and its really b****y noisy too, crackle and pop.:realmad:

10. arachnophilia

arachnophilia Forum Resident

i have "white blood cells" (standard black vinyl) and a single of "dead leaves and the dirty ground." nothing special to report soundwise, never made a note of how it sounded one way or the other in comparison to the cd/mp3. i don't recall it sounding significantly different.

i haven't even heard any of their other albums, but "white blood cells" always struck me as a noisy album, musically. and i'm completely of the philosophy that the technical comes second to the artistic. meaning that if the intent is noisiness, noisy production is a means to that end as much as anything else. so for stuff like that, where it works with the music and not against it, i actually don't mind or really even notice the brickwalling.

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I didn't think the CDs sounded bad at all...modern (loud) for sure, but listenable. Oh well:cheers:

Jimmy B. likes this.
  12. nin

nin Forum Resident

Really? I don't know if I think Elephant sounds better.

13. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Then you best tell us why...

14. musicwerk

musicwerk Forum Resident

"Elephant" is rather noisy on vinyl, rather disappointed in that. Hoping a good cleaning will help my copy...

15. scotto

scotto Senior Member

I have a first-issue domestic copy of Elephant, colored vinyl and all, and it is not noisy and sounds better than the CD I heard at the same time.

16. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

I have White Blood Cells, Elephant, and Icky Thump all on vinyl. I do not own the latter two on CD, but my copy of White Blood Cells vinyl does certainly sound more rich and has more depth than the CD. My suggestion: GO BUY THE VINYL!:righton:

17. goldwax

Re Elephant, it seems from the responses here that the picture is somewhat more complicated than "US colored = noisy, UK black = not noisy."

To clarify more about my own US colored copy, the first disc (can't remember the color right now) was noisier than the second disc, which isn't too bad, though hardly dead quiet.

A month or two ago, I listened to both discs on headphones and noticed that the first, noisier disc wasn't as bad as I'd remembered, though again, it's hardly dead quiet, either.

Whatever, the music will through, though super-sensitive people might have a problem with it.

Unreserved recommendations for Icky Thump, though. A triumph on vinyl no matter how you look at it.

(Unless the unique alternate mixes of two tracks are a problem for you!)

18. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

The first disc is white. Maybe that has something to do with it being more noisy?

19. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

For the first three, there are two versions in both cd and vinyl--the originals on Sympathy and the represses on V2. Anyone compare in either format?

20. Drexler_McStyles

Ive owned both the V2 pressing and the Sympathy pressings of the first three albums on CD. They are the same masterings (lousy). Though there is beginning to be a collectors market for the long OOP Sympathy pressings, so get them while you can.....

21. Drexler_McStyles

Whats the deal with Get Behind Me Satan? Is this thing really rare on vinyl? Anyone out there have one?

22. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Elephant was recorded and mastered in the UK, so I am presuming the UK version would be the original.

JG

23. goldwax

I think only 300 promo copies were made--for journalists and such. Don't know why the commercial release never happened.

The promos go for hundreds of dollars each now.

24. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

An auction just ended on ebay a couple days ago for the GBMS promo vinyl. The winning bid was $346.00

I'm interested in people's opinions about which is the better pressing between the UK XL's and the US Sympathy/V2's. A word on that would be helpful.

25. They're all warped too.

However, vinyl is indeed the only way to listen to this band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.