Sansui TU-317 tuner - any opinions on this one?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brother_Rael, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member Thread Starter

I've Just bought a used Sansui TU-317 tuner, apparently in A1 condition and full working order (can't go wrong with those!) - just wondered if anyone here has ever had one? Read a couple of things on the web, but not too much out there.

Seems like I've picked up a good one; I really fancied getting one of those nice old tuners of the type I remember in my childhood and this one appears to tick all the boxes. From what I gather, I got one of the earlier models (the later ones having the "Sansui" logo appear with a white background) - I found a decent shot online of one:-

[​IMG]

Any comments welcomed re: the character of the sound quality - I'll be listening mostly to speech based radio (BBC Radio 4 / Radio Scotland), with the occasional music station thrown in (BBC Radio 3 and some rock stations on FM).

2. tps

tps Forum Resident

WOW. That looks like it could be a not-too-distant cousin to my Kenwood KT-815 tuner. A great sounding tuner, unfortunately there aren't many great sounding stations to listen to anymore.

Attached Files:

3. Brother_Rael

There's just something really eye catching and rather smart about these older tuners - they don't build 'em like that anymore for sure. So much more appealing than some of the modern digital designs that are out there IMO.

4. since1978

since1978 New Member

Sansui TU-317

Take a look at fmtunerinfo.com. There you will find much information about FM tuners from the tube era through the "golden age" from the late 70s into the 80s. They indicate the TU-317 retailed for $240 in 1978. Much more information is provided. Enjoy.

5. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

I have this own. Owned it since 1978 (it was my father's). Great little tuner. Use a small splice of standard speaker wire (about 6") and watch the needle get buried at 5. REALLY good FM puller!

6. Xico

Xico Forum Resident

I have this tuner as well. Beautiful looking, beautiful sounding. Congratulations!

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I owned a TU-217 for a few years in '82 and then gave it to some friends of mine as they loved classical music on FM radio - I think it's still going! A nice unit - black like yours. Great sound.

8. Brother_Rael

Thanks for the feedback guys; I had a look at the fmtuner site and it's radio's equivalent of the Vinyl Engine by the looks of things. Very useful info on there and some good DIY tips too.

9. Brother_Rael

OK, the Sansui arrived yesterday and it looks the part - this is a seriously beefy radio; big and bold styling with a solid feel missing from a lot of the contemporary gear on the market now.

One query for the current owners of this tuner; the rear panel has screw down fixings to attach an antenna for AM and FM - the FM is split between 75 ohms and two other fixings for 300ohms and there is a grounding connection to consider too.

In the absence of a manual, and living in the UK (240 volts) is there anything I need to be careful of? Sorry, not an electrical expert here!

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's normal. The old insulated T wire for the 300. You should be able to find one (in Tandy or something) or make one.

If you have an external antenna you may want to run a coax to the 75.

11. pt109

pt109 New Member

If one needs an inexpensive, good sounding tuner, the search ends here!
    This tuner offers great performance as long as you get a strong signal, it even
    puts to shame many current units up to $1000!

tps,
    The KT 815 is one of the most underrated tuners out there, it sounds really good ( a bit colder than Sansui's) and pulls distant stations like a magnet!

12. Brother_Rael

Thanks for the tips guys - I'm off to Maplin's (kind of a UK Radio Shack) to pick up a suitable aerial today.

I did pick up a local station yesterday with nothing and it locked on well, even gave me a good idea of how it might sound with an aerial attached. Of course, with the Proms starting in London and broadcast every night on Radio 3, we're looking to get tuned in ASAP!

I think I spent my £45 ($90) well - and that included courier delivery!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.