Raising Speaker Cables Off The Floor

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by macster, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macster

macster Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll be dipped in "STICH," it works.

What happens is as follows; two weeks ago I visited my dealer and saw those shuyutha (sp) speaker cable "raise em off the floor" styro foam blocks. I remarked "that's a damn waste of money" and He remarked "No it ain't, they work" and I go "Yeah like hell they do." He goes "You can get the same effect by using styrofoam cups." So this morning while I was down at Smart&Final I bought a package of those 16oz styrofoam food containers (cups) and... the rest is history. I double them up and cut a notch in the top one for the speaker cable, put a bead of carpenters glue near the top of the inside one, put them together and took a listen. Wowww, I'll be damn! Now I have 4 of those thing under each speaker cable, and all I have to to is to figure out what to tell Bruce when he asks me about it. Total cost $8.00, plus the cost of a humble pie

m~

hi_watt likes this.
  2. GKH

GKH Senior Member

okay.... what is the sonic difference? I'm curious.

Get a load of a thumb through from a Music Direct catalog. They have all that kind of stuff.. Little discs you can stick on your windows.... etc,,,, etc,,,

Oh! And, if you want; you can spend over $6,000.00 on 1.5 meters of speaker wire by Nordost Valhalla. :righton:

My wife will love those cups! :shake: But, I actually did think about trying some styro cups since I just bought the new Blue Jeans speaker cables.. Someone else here mentioned using the cups, as well. :)

3. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

The bass is clearer and the differentiation between instruments is clearer. Just try it and you will. Obviously, the manufactured versions look better than the cups, but they ultimately do not couple with the floor.

4. Mr X

Mr X Forum Resident

But is it the raising off the floor or is it the styrofoam?
    :)

And does it work if your speakers are connected with coat hangers? I really need a government grant to get to the bottom of this...

Seriously, though, how long are your speaker cables and what is your floor material? I assume these are the Audioquest Crystals in your profile.

5. macster

Increased clarity, and dynamic range, all the usual audiophile rubbish. Seriously, there is the sense that the musicans are in the room with you. You can actually tell where they are. Look for $8.00 and some carpenters glue, it's a no brainer. Try it and while you are at it, buy some Caig Detoxit http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f clean all the connectors in your system and have real cheap audiophile upgrade day.

m~

6. street legal

street legal Senior Member

It states in my manual for my Vandersteen speakers that you should use the shortest length of speaker cables necessary to get from your amp speaker outputs to the speakers. All of my equipment is within 8 feet or so of each other, & I've been thinking of shortening my speaker cables from their current 10 foot length each, down to about 4 or 5 feet or so each. This would have the desired effect of both shortening the cable run, AND getting them up off the floor completely. Sound like a good idea? By the way, I've also heard that getting them up off of the floor improves the tone, although I've never experimented with it, myself.

500Homeruns likes this.
  7. macster

1. It's the Styrofoam because it's been demagnitized with a Styofoam demagnitizer.

2. Yeah it works with coat hangers and I have the test data to prove it. You'll have to put $3000.00 into my paypal account and sign a non disclosure wavier.

3. Yes those are the AQ Crystals, those things just work. I've never had the inkling to change them.

m~

8. macster

My speaker wires are 17' in length. However just try it. At first I used some foam from a packaging box, and that's really what prompted me to buy the cups while I was in Smart&Final. I wanted to get the cables 8" off the floor, so that's the reason that I used 2 cups.

m~

9. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

It is supposed to work if you have synthetic fiber carpeting, but is not likely to have an effect if you have wool. I don't hear a difference in my room, which has wool carpeting.

10. GKH

GKH Senior Member

You have them elevated 8"? I was thinking about trying the height of a normal styro coffee cup. And, yes; and if I do this, I'm going to have to paint them. My wife would really think I was crazy if put (white) styrofoam cups on our living room floor. :confused:

Or floor is hardwood.

11. B-Diddy

B-Diddy Member

oh my...... you guys are scaring me! :shake:

12. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Then, you my friend, have not looked through a Music Direct catalog. :wave:

13. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I was thinking of making some out of oak.

Do you think hanging the wires on walls is the same?

14. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

you and I both. :confused:

but I have wool, so I am golden. ;)

15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I put my Cardas GR on styrofoam cups from Publix on a lark and was surprised to notice an effect.

16. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

Gee, and I thought April Fool's Day was over.

17. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Have you tried holding the cable up off the floor while someone else listens? "A little to the left, up a centemeter... THAT'S IT DON"T MOVE! :D

18. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

With hardwood floors, it shouldn't matter, right? It is supposed to be something about synthetic carpets, ya?

19. Chad Etchison

Chad Etchison New Member

It's a good idea to keep cables off the floor if you can, especially if you have carpet; shortest length helps also.

20. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Don't use oak - it's a tone killer. Unfinished maple is the way to go.

21. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i've noticed the highs are much improved in my system if i blow bong smoke into my receiver.

;o)

just kidding. my speaker cables do sit inside a maple cabinet, off the floor.

22. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Whatever you do don't drink the water.

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

My carpet is nylon squares so maybe that is why they worked...

24. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i usually save it for special occasions and do shots!

;o)

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Maybe that explains why you don't hear the impact of cable lifts. :winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.