Tell me about Wayne Berry, please

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockfeat, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockfeat

rockfeat Forum Farmer Thread Starter

While shopping with Norm at Orpheus records a couple of weeks ago, he insisted [he's always right!] that I buy a Wayne Berry lp from 1974. It has the Muscle Shoals gang on it as well as Jim Gordon, Jesse Ed Davis, Jackson Browne and more......it's a pretty cool album. Some very good lyrics and he's quite in the Jackson Browne mode...I had never heard of him. I did a Google seasrch as well as a Forum search and haven't found anything else. AMG just lists the one album I bought......so does anyone know the story on this guy?

2. rockfeat

Wow! So nobody knows this guy?

3. rockfeat

Ok. last chance. I'll let this one go now.........

4. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

I wish I knew more (I have attempted to contact him for interviews, but he has not responded), but here is what I do know.

He was in L.A. in the mid to late 60s, attempting to put together a singer/songwriter deal. A&M signed him for some demos, at least one of which was released, but evidently that deal didn't last. He hung out with a few songwriters and attempted some collaborations, the one of note, to my mind, being with the post-We the People and pre-Cowboy Tommy Talton. They shopped a few songs and had songs cut, but nothing ever came of that.

Berry ran into a bunch of people in L.A. and formed Timber, who released two albums, the first on Kapp (Part of What You Hear, co-produced by Joni Mitchell's ace producer Henry Lewy) and Bring America Home on Elektra (about Crabby Appleton time, if I remember correctly, and produced by ex-Don & the Goodtimes and Touch guru Don Galucci). Neither album went anywhere, though Berry's touch as songwriter led to the solo contract with RCA.

The album you have, Home At Last, received praise among critics but fell flat on its face commercially. Even with airplay, no one bought it outside of Colorado (thanks to massive airplay of Snowbound on at least one Colorado radio station), which to my mind was typical of the era in the music industry. Breaking unknowns seemed a crap shoot in those days and, having worked with many of the promo and A&R people during those times, it was no wonder.

He did have his option for a second album picked up and test pressings exist. One made it into the hands of a critic for either Phonograph Record or BAM and he raved but, alas, the record was not released. I would kill to get hold of a copy (discreetly send info on who and by what time, though I will need a copy of the LP beforehand--- I'm no dummy).

Wayne is reportedly in Nashville and is in the ministry, in some capacity. Like I said, I attempted contact, but I haven't pushed. While I would like to run down his story, I don't invade privacy.

It isn't much, but it's all I have.

Frank G

Jordan Boom likes this.
  5. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

On a side note, howsomever, if anyone could put me in contact with Wayne or the other members of Timber (George Clinton--- no, not THAT George Clinton, but the one actively engineering in a Nashville studio; Judy Elliott, Roger Johnson or Warner Davis), I would muchly appreciate it.

Frank G

6. rockfeat

Thanks, Frank. That's certainly more than I knew. I saw some references to the Berry ministry on Google and thought it might be the same guy. and if that's the case, his son must be carrying on the ministry because the part I read was about when he was in the 1st Gulf war and indicated he was young enough to be Wayne Jr.......I'll have to go back to Google and read more carefully. thanks again!

7. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

I used to be a big fan of Wayne's music. I think the Elektra Timber album was a real lost gem and was very disappointed nothing came of it (or ever got a CD reissue). I saw the group play live around that time and they were very talented-two strong writers, three strong singers, and they could really play. If I remember correctly...and I could well be wrong...after Timber broke up Wayne got a deal with A&M and as far as I know, they only issued one single "Beechwood Blues," I have a promo copy. Then came the RCA deal and Frank G, I even had a copy of the unreleased 2nd album, but it probably left many years ago when I sold my vinyl. I oftened wondered what happened to Wayne.
    I do remember one time I was talking to Timber's manager about the group and he said in a joking way that the problem was some of them went toward's God and the other's went towards the Devil!

8. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

Wow, Ragu! Could you compare Berry's second solo to his first, just for my edification?

Also, I left out the late 70s band Volunteers, who recorded one LP for Arista. It was a reunion of George Clinton and Wayne and got little attention.

Frank G

9. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

10. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

Just sent this thread to an old friend of Wayne's. He is in the church, in Nashville (the above guy is in Louisiana -- seem to be a lot of Christans named "Wayne Berry.").

Here, though the friend says that music is pretty much a thing of his past.

11. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

OK, now the friend would like to know where to fine George Clinton (the one i this thread, obviously).
    PM would be welcome, from anybody who might know.

12. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

Well I don't remember too much about it except that it had a catchy song that I thought should be a single called 'The Breakup." Amazingly I can still remember some of the lyrics:
    "The night my lucky star got lost
    was the night my baby double crossed me
    With poor excuses and cheap defenses
    She tore me to pieces and it made no sense...
    Don't ask about the breakup
    It hurts too much to admit it
    Don't ask about the breakup
    I just want to forget it."

I probably have that wrong but it's going from memory from 35 years ago!

13. He was a working man he used to drive an Econoline van.
    Whoops sorry, my mistake. That was Bruce Berry. :D

14. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

Amazing that you could remember that much. Thanks.

Frank G

15. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Funny-

I found a decent demo copy of Timber's "Part of What You Hear" LP at a show this weekened for a buck. I'm listening now and it's pretty cool.

I'm going to see Tom Rush at a small venue soon and I was planning on getting him to sign my "Ladies Love Outlaws" lp and on asking him about Wayne Berry. Rush covered two WB songs on that great LP

There's still tons of copies, even sealed, on eBay of Wayne's amazing solo lp
    If you like early Jackson Browne you will most probably love this album

Peace-
    Norm/t5

16. teaser5

You know-now that I think abouty it it's kind of weird...

If he is in the ministry that is...

When I found the Timber LP it was towards the end of the show and guys were dealing. The record was two bucks but he was selling ten for ten bucks so I quickly pulled out another nine records cause I had to get back to my own table. Two of those were Phil Keaggy LP's.

I had always liked his stuff but found myself kind of mentally dismissing him as a Christian Musician rather than a good singer songwriter and awesome guitar player who happens to be religious.

Anyway I cleaned and played those two LP's and they're quite good and it turns out that one of them is signed. Things you get for a dollar

Peace-
    N/t5

17. teaser5

Frank:
    Did I just buy the right album?
    Thanks!
    Best-
    N/t5

18. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

That's the one! Most people have a bit of trouble hearing George Clinton's tunes, but I personally like the way they set off Wayne's. They must have gotten along very well because they worked together quite a bit after Timber split.

Frank G

19. teaser5

Cool. Strangely enough I actually had another of the seller's auctions on watch so I hooked them up and saved some shipping coin.

So has anyone actually contacted Mr Berry?

Peace-
    N/t5

20. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

I tried because I wanted to write a history piece, but Berry did not return my emails and I don't want to push too hard. The least I can do is acknowledge his music and leave him in peace, if that is what he wants. Some musicians who worked with him in the old days are occasionally in touch--- George Clinton, Tommy Talton. They have filled me in on what they know, which isn't that much as regards music.

Frank G

21. teaser5

Interesting. Have you ever spoken with Tom Rush?
    Best-
    N/t5

22. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

Never, but I'll bet he has a ton of great stories to tell.

23. teaser5

Well, the show isn't until next March but if I do get to talk to him and find anything about WB out I'll be sure to let you know.

I don't want to tell you how to write your article but it seems to me like you might have one even without talking to him.

Goldmine just did an interesting cover article on suspicious musician deaths. I wonder if this might be at least part of an equally interesting kind of "Whatever happened to..." sort of thing. Just a thought...

Best-
    N/t5

24. Jay F

Jay F New Member

http://www.tomrush.com/

I emailed him through his website once, wanting to know about old concert dates and places, and I think it was he who responded.

25. teaser5

Jay-I didn't see your post but I just e-mailed Tom Rush as well and linked this thread.
    Stay tuned with fingers crossed. It would be so cool if he logged on
    :righton:
    Best-
    N/t5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.