Red Rose Music (Mark Levinson) SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PMC7027, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Just an FYI, Elusive Disc (www.elusivedisc.com) has five of the six available Red Rose Music SACDs on sale at $9.99 each. Each of these titles was originally recorded by Mark Levinson in the 1970s on 30ips tape (no Dolby) and release on his Marl Levinson Acoustic Recordings label (I hope I remembered the label name correctly). Only the newly recorded SACD Live at Red Rose Music is still full prince ($19.99).

If you are a first time web customer of Elusive Disc they will also ship for free! I ordered all five titles yesterday; 5 well recorded SACDs for less than $50!

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

What kind of music is it?

3. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Each disc is different. Here is the information from Elusive Disc's web site:

Bill Elgart - A Life
    The latest single layer SACD from Bill Elgart on percussion! Mastered by Mark Levinson to pure DSD from the original 30ips master tape. This recording was previously only available in the late 70's as Mark Levinson Acoustic Recordings on LP format.

Bill Elgart's landmark 1975 percussion recording portrays a life in it's various stages from birth to death. The softest, most subtle sounds combine with the most powerful. Conception and birth, the infant sleeping and it's heart beating, sensing the world around, beginning to feel, to think, to interact with people, to develop an ideology, to experience peace, to feel the effects of age and infirmity, to feel the end of all these...this is a life.

Recorded in Battell Chapel, Yale University in 1975 with a modified Studer A80 recorder using 1" tape at 30 ips. The SACD master was made directly from the original analog master tapes by Mark Levinson in September 2001 with a Sony DSD recording system.

New Haven Brass Quintet
    The latest single layer SACD from the New Haven Brass Quintet! Mastered by Mark Levinson to pure DSD from the original 30ips master tape. This recording was previously only available in the late 70's
    as Mark Levinson Acoustic Recordings on LP format.

From Beatles to Charles Ives, the New haven Brass Quintet plays a staggering variety of repertoire with passion, joy and a tight ensemble feeling that makes you want to listen to more. originally issued as a double album LP set, Volume Four was recorded at Battell Chapel of Yale University. Whatever your musical taste, this group of young brass players deliver a wide variety of repertoire played with
    passion and great sensitivity. This is also the most natural-sounding recordings of brass instruments ever recorded!

Bach The Art Of Fugue
    The latest single layer SACD from Red Rose Music featuring Bach's "Art of the Fugue." Mastered by Mark Levinson to pure DSD from the original 30ips master tape. This recording was previously only
    available in the late 70's as Mark Levinson Acoustic Recordings on LP format.

Charles Krigbaum, organ

In 1975 Mark Levinson heard Charles Krigbaum play the Art of the Fugue in concert at Yale University Dwight Chapel, New Haven, Connecticut, and was astounded by the performance. He asked Charles
    if he would like to make a record of it. The rest, as they say, is history.

"This is the greatest organ sound I've heard since I left Baylor and use to hear great live organ music. The question is how does that huge organ fit in my 14 by 20 foot room. A great performance, a great
    recording, I just couldn't skip through the tracks. I had to just listen." - Audio Asylum

Eliot Fisk Plays Bach & Scarlatti
    The latest single layer SACD from Eliot Fisk! Mastered by Mark Levinson to pure DSD from the original 30ips master tape. This recording was previously only available in the late 70's as Mark Levinson Acoustic Recordings on LP format.

Eliot Fisk was 22 years old when he recorded this album in 1977. A student of Segovia, Eliot's music is lyrical and extremely vital. He takes chances that other guitarists would not dare to attempt. These
    pieces were recorded with no edits or "second takes" in the chapel of the General Theological Seminary in New York City. Originally not included on the LP, Bach's Lute Suite in G, which Eliot played at 2am after the planned program was recorded, appears on this SACD recording. This is one magical album no audiophile should be without!

Herb Pomeroy/BB Jazz Live at Sandy's
    The latest single layer SACD from Herb Pomeroy! Mastered by Mark Levinson to pure DSD from the original 30ips master tape. This recording was previously only available in the late 70's as Mark
    Levinson Acoustic Recordings on LP format.

The night club was packed with jazz lovers at every table, drinks were clinking and the air was thick with excitement as five saxophones, four trombones, four trumpets, piano, bass and drums got ready to blow with some tables only a few feet away. Boston's legendary band leader Herb Pomperoy is about to count off the first tune and you can hear the intake breath as the musicians fill their lungs with air to lift everyone away with original charts that other bands wouldn't even dare to dream.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.