Technics SL-B1 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PTgraphics, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member Thread Starter

I got handed a Technics SL-B1 turntable today. It has a Ortonfon TM 7 cart on it. I can't find any info on this table except for some of the parts like the belt. Is this thing any good and what about the cart? Seems to be in good shape. Everything was and is taped down with old half dried up packing tape so clean up is a issue to get the tape residue off.

Thanks,

Pat

2. ....Sounds like an older turntable. My brother had the Technics SL-B2, which I believe was a 1979 model (and I believe the SL-B1 predates that one).. I know the only issues that can occur with some of these older "aged" models is speed fluctuation. Usually the easiest thing to try first (after replacing the belt and making sure it's properly lubed) is cleaning the pitch adjust control pots with CAIG cleaners (I forget the name of the product for cleaning the "pots"). If long term testing reveals gross speed fluctuations (where it is playing fine, and suddenly slows down noticeably), then the circuit board capacitors may need replacing.

....As for the Ortofon TM-7 cartridge, I'm not quite sure about that, but after checking cross references, it appears to be an early version of the OM Series cartridges (NOTE: OM series replacement styli should work in a TM cartridge).

3. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

That's a decent, but not spectacular, entry level unit. I have belts for it Probably

If you check the size of the belt, measured in inches, and you donate $15.00 to SHMF "Keep it non-commercial" fund. I will mail you one in an envelope anywhere in USA. Sizes must be among these: 20", 20.7", 21.4", and lastly and most likely the 23.6" .

This model is OK for a low-cost table, and if restored and kept well maintained, can still work well and provide a cheap way to "get into vinyl." Obtain and install a new belt, lube the motor and main spindle bearings, use Naphtha to clean off the old tape residue, use 409 cleaner to remove the "Schmutz" that always accumulates with a 30 year old turntable. Use the same aforementioned Naphtha to clean the vari-speed pots and on/off or speed select switch. Check the arm tracking parameters and away you go... Happy listening.. Rolf Erickson.

Below I show several low-cost Technics tables of belt-drive type. One is the BD2?

Attached Files:

4. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I have a Rega P2 so I am not sure what I am going to do with this Technics.

Rolf, when I get a job I will buy a new belt. Thanks!

Pat

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

For the record (no pun intended), the SL-B2 uses a 23.6 inch belt.

6. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

Common belt? Yes.

Yes, this size belt is the most commonly used, 23.6" I keep around 10 in stock usually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.