So, it turns out there WAS a Pink Floyd reel to reel issued!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 93curr, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

2. ADAMIC

ADAMIC Member

OMG! I'd love a 24/192 transfer of that! I guess at that price I'll just stick to the MFSL

3. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I'm out of the loop on this one. There were never any "regular" PF reels issued?

4. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Exactly.--That's the ONLY stock PF reel to reel?????

5. 93curr

Until yesterday, I didn't even know that this one existed.

6. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Wow, I didn't know this either. Interesting bit of trivia 93curr. :cool:

Funny, I guess I never have seen any Pink Floyd RTR tapes but it just didn't register for whatever reason.

7. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

From the ebay listing:
    Does anybody know if it is a different mix for sure?

This is amazing. I can't wait to see what this thing sells for!

8. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

Has anyone noticed the sketchy bidding history on this? usernames like s***g, etc. I think these are bogus accounts that sellers use to inflate the price.

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It looks like a 7 1/2 IPS.

I went down this road years ago. People who are into this hobby find the "hot" ones (IMHO) far inbetween many duds. I grabbed a 7 1/2IPS Abbey Road and went straight to 16bit digital and really listened to it.

Verdict? It wasn't worth it. There's often slight wow and flutter, even on well made ones. To make things worse, like the 8Tracks and cassettes of the day, they went with really horrible tape stock. Labels like RCA and Columbia really cared. Others, handed it over to Ampex for example.

Compound that with a really poor master copy-copy-copy and speed-duplication.

You can have it. My US Capitol mastered LP Harvest will beat it, guaranteed. The MFSL CD is a quick way to get the best.

...Never let your curiosity + appetite get the best of ya.

10. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

I doubt that. Bogus accounts dont usually have hundreds of feedbacks.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Some pre-recorded reels are inferior, others are not. Ampex made some good reels, and some bad ones. Most everyone made some 3 3/4ips reels, and they're mostly lousy, but I've heard a few that were reasonably good.

Some of the early 7.5ips 2-track reels are great. Of course, those aren't rock and roll.

As for wow and flutter: Played back on a deck with an excellent tape path (e.g. Technics RS1500/RS1700 series decks), I have pre-recorded reels that don't exhibit W&F issues.

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Good points, but my Pioneer (now gone) behaved quite well with low maintenece. I recorded Stand Up MFSL from CD and even at 3 3/4, it was shockingly sweet sounding. :) No bad wows, only good ones.

13. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Reel-To-Reels were still around long after the year this was issued (1971)..they just got harder to find,that's all..for example,I had found a Reel-To-reel of The Guess Who's "Artificial Paradise" at a Master's store in 1974..it was never opened,and in great condition! I also had Reel-To-Reels of The Go-Go's (Vacation) and Simon & Garfunkel (The Concert in Central Park) that I got through Columbia House. Michael Boyce

14. If anybody's inclined to preserve the images from the auction (for history), then grab 'em now and upload 'em to this thread (or somewhere). Cuz in a week or so, they be be totally gonesville.

(Future generations will thank you.)

15. tgc225

tgc225 Forum Resident

It's explained on the bids page:

eBay has changed how bid history information is displayed for higher-priced items. To help keep the eBay community safe, enhance bidder privacy, and protect our members from fraudulent emails, only you and the seller of the item can view your User ID in bid history. Other members will see anonymous names, such as x***y.

16. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I agree - reel to reel tapes are pretty hit and miss. Of course, I would be more likely to take a chance on one recorded at 7 1/2 ips - as this one is.

The other thing to keep in mind is the playback unit really needs to be in top shape in order for the reel to sound good. This means heads cleaned, demagged, and properly aligned. Any one of these things not being right and you can kiss the sound quality goodbye.

17. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Here we go.:goodie:

Attached Files:

18. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

so that's what it is! thanks for clearing that up!

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

$1,725

Attached Files:

20. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

21. 93curr

Imagine what it would have gone for if it had an obi.:eek: :D

22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Cheaper than if you bought it on eil.com

23. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Wow man! I'd love to hear the review from the winning bidder after he receives the tape and plays it. Was it worth it? I mean it's not just the sound quality he was bidding on. It was it's collectability. How many of these still exist? 10 or less I'd say.

What do you guys think? Even if it sounds just..OK, was it worth this price? Or is it worth MORE?

24. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

:biglaugh:

25. Michael T

Michael T New Member

Hi Everyone,

First post here. I found this forum on Google after doing a search on reel-to-reels, and thought I would join.

Anyway, on with my post...

Pink Floyd RTR's do exist -- at least they did from Columbia Record Club. I have one, "Animals". It was late '77, maybe early '78, I was looking at a magazine that had a CRC order form, and I saw that Animals was available in RTR format, so I ordered it. I had already owned this album on LP, but it quickly became a favorite so I ordered the reel because I was anticipating on putting together a high-end reel-to-reel setup (which actually never happened). I played the PF reel once, albeit on a not-so-stellar machine, but it sounded pretty good from what I remember. One thing that really made this reel unique was that the song "Pigs on the Wing" had a guitar solo that the LP did not have. I believe the 8-track also had this version as well. The reel has long since been stored away with my other reels and LPs, but I am almost certain that it's a 7 1/2" ips reel.

If anyone's interested, I can dig out my PF Animals reel, take some pictures of it and post them to this thread :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.