Rega P3 isolation, need help w/ my 2 options.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kala98, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kala98

kala98 New Member Thread Starter

Hello, everyone. I have been enjoying my first tt for the last couple months and a problem has recently shown up. Due to a change in schedule, I have more listening hours in the week where no one is in the house. This has directly contributed to an increase in volume. The table is vibrating when the music really gets going.

Currently, it is placed on a large, heavy credenza-style piece of furniture between the speakers. I understand from the materials that this is not a good scenario, although it was the only one available at the time.

After too many hours researching on this forum and others it looks like the two best options are:

1. Rega wall shelf (position will require a 30ft run for interconnect)
    2. Neuance shelf and the tt stays where it is.

The cost is about the same. Based on your experience, is there one that is obviously better?

Thank you in advance!

2. hukkfinn

hukkfinn Senior Member

Ken Lyon has unfortunately retired from the business of making Neuance shelves.

So if you get one, it will be on Audiogon or ebay, and might cost less.

Or maybe they will become collectors' items and go UP in value??

Anyway, the wall is the best place for your vibrating Rega. Is there any creative, moving-heaven-and-earth idea that would allow you to avoid a 30-ft interconnect?

If not, buy an Ikea Lack side table for $13 (*not* any of the natural wood colors) and toss the legs. Then buy some light metal or ceramic cones and use it as a shelf. Use only 3 cones, and make sure it's level using coins to adjust if necessary. Or, some cones provide extendable tips, like --
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=240-715

-Hukk

3. kala98

kala98 New Member Thread Starter

Thank you for the follow up. It looks like the lack might be tough to get in my area (no black online, and not in stock close by, according to the website).

I understand the hesitation on the cable length. There's a small part of my brain that still thinks it's "just cable" and with the right shielding and measurements, a small 30ft run should be fine. It should be pretty easy/cheap to set that up and listen.

As the nueance and lack are unavailable, I'll try out the wall shelf. Thanks again for the tip...

4. tomd

tomd Senior Member

When Did Ken Lyon-retire? I just checked and the Neuance website is still up and makes no mention that they are currently unavailable

5. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Hukk:

What is your reasoning against the natural wood colors for the Lack?

6. hukkfinn

hukkfinn Senior Member

7. hukkfinn

hukkfinn Senior Member

Good question.

Since I am somewhat insane, I decided to do a test one day, pitting various forms of supports against each other. The test subject was my Rega P25 with a Dynavector 20xH cartridge.

First place: wall shelf
    2nd place: Lack side table in black
    3rd: Target's $19 dark grey side table
    4th: tie: Lack side table in natural wood, and, glass

Using a Neuance shelf improved each method of support but didn't cause any change in relative ranking among the various methods.

The most surprising result of the test was the extent to which the natural wood Lack side table sucked. It was WAY behind the Target side table. It sounded different from glass, which is dreadful for a Rega, but it was roughly as terrible. It made the music sound hollow and weird.

Hukk

8. hukkfinn

hukkfinn Senior Member

Wall shelf should sound great. I am worried about the 30-ft run of wire but I look forward to hearing how it sounds for you.

By the way, you can always order the black-brown Lack table online.

Hukk

9. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Buy a Target wall shelf. Remove the supplied wood platform (and threaded inserts). Attach shelf to wall studs. Buy Mappleshade maple platform, Isoblocks, and Rega threaded cones (to replace stock feet). Install cones, place table on platform, place platform on Isoblocks, place Isoblocks on wall shelf. Enjoy!

10. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

What Target wall shelf do you speak of? Is there a part number ect.

11. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.