Best Bugs Bunny cartoons ever made

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Matt, Apr 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

Rank your favorites:

1. Rabbit of Seville
    2. What's Opera, Doc?
    3. Duck! Rabbit! Duck!
    4. Little Red Riding Rabbit (with the irritating Red Riding Hood; gotta love the end)
    5. Rhapsody Rabbit (I think this was actually made before the Tom & Jerry cartoon that's based on the same idea)
    6. Bully For Bugs
    7. Buccaneer Bunny (Yosemite Sam tries to kill Bugs because he knows where Sam's buried his treasure; great, absurd, physics-defying gag with an anvil)
    8. Rabbit Punch (the first one with the big, bald boxer)
    9. What's Up, Doc? (how Bugs got big, with Elmer helping him out: "What are you doing with [Bing Crosby, Al Jolson, etc.]? They'll never amount to anything!")
    10. Hair-Raising Hare (Peter Lorre and his hairy, red monster)
    11. Baseball Bugs ("There's been a change in the line-up: Left field, Bugs Bunny, Third base, Bugs Bunny, Second base, Bugs Bunny...")
    12. Racketeer Rabbit (with Edward G. Robinson and Peter Lorre: "They made me laugh, Rocky." [brief deranged laughter])
    13. High Diving Hare (more absurd gags involving a high-diving board)
    14. Jack-Wabbit & the Beanstalk (the earlier one with the really, really dumb giant)
    15. Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears ("Someone's been sleeping in my bed, and there he is, still been sleeping in my bed!" followed by a brutal rush to pummel Bugs)

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Some of my favorites not listed:

Rabbit Seasoning ("Would you like to shoot him now? Or wait 'til you get home?)
    Rabbit Fire (The first of the "hunting" trilogy)
    Corny Concerto (Fantasia Parody featuring Bugs in one segment)
    Operation Rabbit (The one with "Wile E. Coyote, Soopah Genius")
    Rabbit Hood (Don't you worry, never fear, Robin Hood will soon be here)
    Baby Buggy Bunny (be on the lookout for Baby Face Finster)
    Hare Brush ("My name is Elmer J. Fudd, Millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht")
    Hare-way to the Stars ("the illudium Q-38 explosive space modulator")
    Ballot Box Bunny (Bugs & Yosemite Sam lose to the "dark horse" candidate)

Regards,

3. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Rabbit Hood is the one that comes to my mind. Its the one where the use the Errol Flynn clip, right?

4. Matt

I think so, and as Ken pointed out, with Little John appearing twice to say "Don't you worry, never fear, Robin Hood will soon be hear," with Flynn finally coming in at the end.

5. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

A couple more favorites:

"Knighty-Knight Bugs" -- the one where Bugs has to get the Singing Sword past Yosemite Sam and his dragon who sneezes all the time. Seeing the dragon sneeze one last time in the room full of explosives, and sending the turret of the castle up as if it were a rocket, is classic. Then the sword breaks out in "Aloha Oe."

"The Big Snooze" -- Elmer Fudd gets so sick and tired of being outsmarted by Bugs that he rips up his contract. Then he has dreams, or really nightmares, about Bugs ... "The rabbits are coming, hooray, hooray..." It also features a "Rabbit and Costello" routine. And once he wakes up, he gathers all the pieces of his contract back together, pleading "Oh Mr. Warner..." and the chase resumes.

"Hillbilly Hare" -- which ends with the wonderful "square dance" routine.

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

OK here goes, although several of my faves are named already:

Please fell free to correct me if my titles are wrong

Haredevil Hare - (Marvin Martian's first appearance - I love the faces that Bugs makes when he lands on the moon)

Frigid Hare or 8 Ball Bunny(Is this the one where Bugs has to take the "missing" Penguin back to the South Pole?

Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid (Beaky Buzzard)
    Tortoise Beats Hare

Case of the Missing Hare (roota-voota-zoot!)

I could go on if I only remembered all of the titles!

GMfan87' likes this.
  7. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"Duck Amuck" -- where Daffy Duck is the victim of a crazed animator, who turns out to be none other than Bugs!

And the "sequel," "Rabbit Rampage," where Bugs is the victim of the crazed animator, who turns out to be Elmer Fudd!

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

IMO, that cartoon is underrated!

GMfan87' likes this.
  9. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Never seen this one. Sounds terrific!

The one with the personality-changing hats is a great one.

10. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I read somewhere that after "Rhapsody Rabbit" was completed it was sent to the Technicolor lab for processing, then the Technicolor people mistakenly sent it to the MGM cartoon unit. When the MGM people saw it they quickly made their own version ("Cat Concerto") and rushed it to theaters before WB released theirs. "Cat Concerto" won that year's Oscar for best cartoon short; ironically enough, when the Academy voters saw "Rhapsody Rabbit" they assumed it was a ripoff of the T&J short!

Some more Bugs favorites:

"The Old Grey Hare" - Elmer dreams of himself and Bugs as geriatrics, with a dream within that dream depicting them as infants. Clampett at his best.

"Long-Haired Hare" - Bugs runs afoul of an opera singer, who makes the mistake of trying to shut the rabbit up one too many times. "This means war," and Bugs extracts sweet revenge.

"The Wabbit Who Came To Supper" - Elmer's rich uncle dies and wills him a fortune, but only if he is kind to animals...a stipulation Bugs exploits to the hilt.

"Tortoise Wins By A Hare" - The second of the three Bugs/Cecil Turtle races is my favorite, as Bugs actually wins (courtesy of a turtle-shaped "air flow chassis") but is clobbered before crossing the finish line by a rabbit gambling ring that mistakes him for the turtle!

"Porky Pig's Feat" - This is actually a Daffy/Porky cartoon, with the two characters trying to sneak out of a hotel without paying their exhorbitant bill. But Bugs has a side-splitting cameo at the end.

11. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

What's the name of the one where Yosemite Sam can only come into his inheritance if he watches his language—but Bugs keeps eliciting curses ("razza-frazzin'") from him with booby traps? I remember enjoying that one with my dad when I was little, and now I enjoy it with my daughter. Pretty cool.

12. Matt

Yeah, I remember that one! Bugs has been assigned to Sam to watch him (each time Sam loses it, he loses a bit of his inheritance), and eventually Sam tries to kill off Bugs to make things easy, but he doesn't succeed. In the end, he manages to control his temper, but by then, Bugs doesn't have the heart to tell him he's out of money.

From Hare to Heir! That's it!

13. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Wasnt Bogart in a few of the Bugs cartoons? I seem to remember one from a restaraunt. I remember the Duck Amuck cartoon clearly, it was one of my favorites. I cant remember names of the other ones, but I recognize some of the descriptions. You guys must really like these cartoons. I hope they do these DVDs right.

14. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

My favorites:

Duck Amuck-Even though Bugs only appears at the end of this one, if I had to name an all time favorite cartoon, this would be it.

Show Biz Bugs-One of my favorite Bugs and Daffy pairings. I love how they're trying to out do each other throughout the whole cartoon, and Daffy does it by blowing himself up!!!

8 Ball Bunny-Another great one where Bugs is trying to get a penguin back home to the south pole, only to find out that this penguin was born in Hoboken, NJ!!!! This is the cartoon where Humphrey Bogart keeps turning up asking "Say, can you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

Long Haired Hare-Another one that ranks very high on my list. The one where Bugs clashes with the opera tenor, and Bugs gets his revenge sabotaging his performance by:

Giving the singer a stick of dynamite instead of fountain pen to sign an autograph.

Putting liquid alum in his throat spray, making his head shrink down to nothing.

Disguising himself as Leopold Stowkowski and making the singer hold a high C until the Hollywood Bowl collapses all around him.

15. Matt

Before I ever watched old films, I picked up film references from Bugs Bunny shorts. The Bogie one you're talking about, that's the one where Elmer Fudd waits on Bogie and tells him they're out of rabbits. Bogie wants one or else (and to make his point clear, he puts a tommy gun on the table). Well, enter Bugs.

Another one I remember is one of the penguin ones, the one with the penguin from Hoboken. Saw it years before I ever heard of "Treasure of the Sierra Madre." Bugs tries to take a penguin back to Antartica, but every so often, Bogart appears and asks "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

GMfan87' likes this.
  16. Matt

:laugh: Jeff beat me to it!

17. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, "Ali Baba Bunny," naturally!!

"Duck, you have desecrated the spirit of the lamp! Prepare to suffer the consequences!!"

"Consequences, shmonsequences, as long as I'm rich!!":cool:

Also...Louisiana back-bay bayou bunny bordelaise...a la Antoine! "Well, I don't mean Antoine of Flatbush!!"

18. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

In the one Bugs is returning the penguin (the one that cries ice cubes!!) to the South Pole, he keeps bumping into Bogart the bum.

19. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

I can clearly remember this scene giving my sister and me the fits when we were around ten. The voice going all trebly was so funny.

Is there any logic to the liquid alum thing?

20. guy incognito

That short is titled "Slick Hare". At the very end Elmer is forced to confess that he couldn't provide a rabbit in time. Bogart reaches into his jacket, but instead of producing a gun he pulls out a handkerchief, wipes himself, and sighs, "Okay then, Baby (Lauren Bacall) will just have to have a ham sandwich instead." Hearing this, Bugs races to the dining room to avail himself to "Baby". :D

21. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Yeap I remember that one. This one is a take off on the Bogart character from Treasure of the Sierra Madre where he is bumming money off fellow Americans in Mexico.

There is also a Bugs cartoon with an Edward G. Robinson character playing a gangster, of course. Don't remember the name.

22. guy incognito

Matt mentioned that one at the top of the thread. It's "Racketeer Rabbit".

Somebody mentioned "Rabbit Rampage" earlier. I've never liked that one nearly as much as "Duck Amuck", and I think the reason is because seeing Bugs flustered and humiliated isn't nearly as comfortable or natural as seeing the same things happen to Daffy. The gags are still there, but it's so out of tune with the character we've come to know and love that the whole thing has a very false note to it, IMO.

23. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I don't know if it's logical or not, but it certainly was one of the funniest things I've ever seen and heard!!!:laugh:

24. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

If I can choose from all MM/LT cartoons then...

Foxy By Proxy (fox & the dumb dog)
    Water Water Ever Hare (with the evil scientist)
    Cat-Tails For Two ("George Is My Friend")
    No Barking (with the stray dog and cat)
    Bugs & Thugs (Hey Mugsy, Let's Take The Scenic Route, Heh, Heh, Heh")
    Homeless Hare ("I'm Feeling Might Low")
    Rabbitson Caruso ("You Hammer-nosed Halibut")
    Goo-Goo Goliath ("It Was... Give The Stork Another One")
    Early To Bet ("No... Not Roll Out The Barrel")
    Big Top Bunny ("Now Who You Suppose Put That Anvil Up There")

25. Robb

Robb Forum Resident

Hillbilly Hare. One of my favorites! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Those two feuding hillbillies are prime comic entertainment. Too bad WB didn't bring them back for another round.

I have a soft spot for one that hasn't been mentioned yet. It's the one where Elmer Fudd orders a Slobobian rabbit for a lonely bugs Bunny. It's not funny all of the time, but one part in particular kills me. It's where the Slobobian rabbit backs Bugs into a corner, pleading with him "Give to me large kiss!!" Bugs sticks an electric fan into her face as she moves in for the lip lock, and after her face gets buzzed she shrugs and states in her vague Eastern European accent, "Hmmm! - not bad for a beginner!" :laugh:

Another one. I'm so bad with names. It's the one where Yosemite Sam finds out that an old woman (Granny) had been widowed down the street and came into a large amount of money. Naturally, he desperately tries to marry her, with Bugs intervening in a great comic sequence, culminating in the elope scene, where Bugs dressed as Granny dumps all her belongings off the second story balcony to a frazzled Yosemite Sam below, "That dame's taking everything but the kitchen sink!!" Blomp!

One more. Bugs has raided the Elmer Fudd farm. Desperate to get rid of him, Elmer orders a robot guaranteed to kill rabbits. The best part for me is when Bugs dresses up as the girl robot to take the robot off his game. :laugh: The robot's reaction to "her" is so hilarious, I'm just cracking myself up as I type.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.