Trees - On The Shore - which mastering?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Willowman, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member Thread Starter

I've only got a couple of Trees tracks on compilations, and I want to get the 'On The Shore' album on CD.

I think there is a 2003 reissue on CBS with the 10 tracks from the vinyl LP, and then a 2007 2xCD, one CD featuring a remastered version of the LP, plus a further CD of assorted remixes are rarities.

Any thoughts on the remaster vs the original CD?

thanks

Tim

2. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Trees Lounge

I've heard four versions of this:
    Original 1970 UK CBS pressing- Kind of a weak mastering, bass-wise at least
    80s UK vinyl reissue- Needle-drop of the above
    90s BGO UK reissue CD- New mastering with better EQ overall, but some NR
    New CBS UK reissue- Sounds like a slightly louder/brighter version of the BGO

3. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I've never heard BGO use NR. If there is less hiss than your vinyl, I'd chalk that up to EQ moves.

Iirc, this one is about the same on Columbia or BGO, but their other album (TGOJD) is ten times better on BGO, as the Columbia super bright (LP prod. tape?). If BGO had the same source tape, they did some good work to make this listenable by taming all the top end boost.

There are "remastered" versions out now, but...

4. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

:confused: I always refer to my favourite late 80's/early 90's Rock band as The Trees, but they're called Screaming Trees!

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I just got a copy of "On The Shore" after getting hipped to them from the piece and review in the latest issue of "Ugly Things". My god, what a great band!

Anyway, my copy is on Columbia, with a cd that was made in Austria. I think it sounds amazing. Is this the copy being referred to above as "BGO"? And excuse my dumbness here, but what is BGO?

I understand there is a recent 2 cd issue of this album as well. Is that the CBS reissue that's mentioned above?

6. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

I have the 90s vinyl reissues of both Trees lps, which i just Love...

the original 1990s cd issues which are great...

and the new japanese cardboard two cd version of one the shore...(one of the best covers ever!!) , interesting, like the alt. mixes, but the original disc is a bit loud...

great band, great album(s)... those original UK lps go for big bucks mint...

cheers,
    :cheers:
    mrbill

7. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

So then I assume the CBS Rewind '93 reissue is different from the BGO? And if so, has anyone compared the two?

9. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

CBS Rewind vs. BGO

See my 11-22-2007 posting on this thread. I prefer the sound of the BGO
    versions of both Trees albums.

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

That's cool. I was just trying to get straight the various reissues. So from your post, I can assume the BGO is different from the Columbia? What year did the BGO come out?

11. John54

John54 Senior Member

Different band; I have an LP called "Sleep Convention" or some such. I think I have a Mark Lanegan CD too actually ...

12. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I have had and compared the 80's vinyl reissue, 90's BGO CD and the new 2007 double-CD, as well as an old tape of the original issue (which I won't comment on). I think the 80's vinyl was the worst of the lot. The BGO CD and the 2007 double-CD are pretty close (despite the remastering), but the BGO I think actually sounds better. The extra CD of material that comes with the double-CD is disappointing and unworthy of such a great album: crappy after-the-fact additions of unnecessary extra instruments, with one short unmemorable song that was not included on the original album.

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I posted a thread earlier today about recent limited vinyl reissues by Sunbeam Records but nobody replied to it. I'm hoping it maybe get's some traction here:

Trees On The Shore & Garden Of Jane Delawney vinyl reissues?
    Has anyone heard these? I would love to own these on vinyl, and it's unlikely I'm ever going to afford the originals, but I haven't heard anything about these reissues. Looks like Sunbeam is a very legit outfit. I've gone ahead and emailed them regarding if these were sourced from the master tapes and will report back.

TREES- Garden of Jane Delawney DBL LP LTD to 1000 ( 60s/70s Psych/Folk ) -Label:SUNBEAM Few bands have existed for such a short time yet exerted such a long shadow as Trees. Having formed in London in the summer of 1969, they recorded their debut that winter. A spellbinding combination of eerie originals and bold West Coast-influenced reworkings of traditional folk songs, it was released in May 1970 and has gone on to become one of the most revered folk-rock albums of all time. It makes its long-awaited reappearance on vinyl here, as a deluxe double LP set. Featuring a gatefold sleeve packed with rare images, a lavish 12-page booklet with an introduction from their guitarist David Costa and a detailed band history, and numerous bonus tracks, it is the fullest edition of this classic album ever assembled. Limited numbered edition of 1000, deluxe double LP set, Long-awaited vinyl reissue, separate 12-page booklet, previously unseen photographs, including unreleased tracks and demo versions. LP $34 SKU:9053

TREES- On The Shore 180g DBL LP LTD to 1000 ( 60s/70s Psych ) -Label:SUNBEAM Having honed their repertoire on the road, Trees returned to the studio in October 1970 to cut their second and last LP, the masterful On The Shore. Another beautifully-judged blend of original and traditional material, it received extravagant praise but failed to break through commercially, spelling the end for the bands original incarnation. It makes its long-awaited reappearance on vinyl here, as a deluxe double LP set. Featuring a gatefold sleeve packed with rare images, a lavish 12-page booklet with an introduction from their guitarist David Costa and a detailed band history, and numerous bonus tracks, it is the fullest edition of this classic album ever assembled. Limited numbered edition of 1000, Deluxe double 180g LP set, Previously unseen photographs, includes previously unreleased tracks. LP $34 SKU:9052
    sberger is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

14. John54

John54 Senior Member

I believe the band Trees of which I mentioned an LP called "Sleep Convention" were American and worked in the 1980s. This thread must be about a different band ...

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

16. Jeff Carney

I highly doubt they'll be from master tapes, let alone tapes. You sent them an email so hopefully we'll see, but my guess is that they'll be digitally sourced. Probably the recent remastered CDs would be the source, I'd suspect.

Of the CD versions I have heard, I found the BGO version pretty similar to the Columbia for On The Shore, but for Garden of Jane Delawney the BGO beat the Columbia by a mile. The Columbia had so much top end it was nearly unlistenable.

Haven't heard the remasters as this band is only of marginal interest to me, sorry. I love the UK prog folk genre but there are other examples of greater interest, so this is about all I can add to the topic.

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Appreciate your comments. With only 1000 of each title, I splurged, cause I do really love these albums. Hopefully, with cooperation from the band, the tapes were made available. But I agree that it's probably a long shot.

18. mrbillswildride

Got an Extra Garden of...

Yeah, I saw these up at Aomeba the other day but passed. I have the first vinyl reissues of these two titles, formed in the 90s, not sure what label, just got them to have these gems on vinyl. Sunbeam seems to have mixed reviews round here, and talk of digital transfers seems rampant. Let us know how these sound. I did score another original BGO Cd copy of Garden of Jane Delawney up there, exp. OOP prices :shake:, but worth owning... :agree:

I like this group a lot, both the 1970 albums are obviously FC-inspired, almost too much so at times, but they also have moments of great brilliance and fire, and then they sound like what I'd imagine Fairport would have sounded like circa-70-71, if they'd stayed in the Liege and Lief branch of British folk rock and Sandy, Ashley and Richard had not left on their own musical journeys.... :sigh:

cheers,

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I just got these. FWIW, the packages are gorgeous. Heavy gatefold sleeves, booklets, heavy vinyl. Oh, and prominently displayed on the front is a sticker that says "All-Analogue Audiophile Pressing".

I will listen to these later on and report back, but for those on the fence, remember there are only 1000(numbered) copies of these worldwide, so I would assume they won't be around long.

And these are official, with "Licensed Courtesy Of Sony BMG Music Entertainment (UK) Limited" on the back cover.

20. mrbillswildride

SWEET!!! :cheers:

Enjoy, and let us know how you like~how they sound... :agree:

cheers,

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Well, these sound absolutely amazing on my system. Huge, full soundstage, and yes, very analog. If there were any digital doings during the mastering, they're fooling me. And the vinyl is beautiful and silent. I never heard the original vinyl or 90's reissue, but these blow away the Columbia cd's without any problem.

I find it hard to believe that any fan of this band would not be delighted to own both of these.

22. Jeff Carney

Great news. I'll check these out. Are the bonus tracks the same as what was on the recently remastered CDs?

The "analog" sticker sounds promising, but if the bonus tracks match the recent CDs, one can't help but wonder. Did Sunbeam ever respond to your email about the sources used?

Anyway, sounds like they are nice.:thumbsup:

23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Never heard from Sunbeam. I only have the Columbia "Rewind Series" cd's that don't have bonus tracks but I assume they're the same tracks . Haven't had time to listen to those yet but am very impressed at how the original songs sound. I'll be very interested in what you think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.