Audio Technica AT95E cartridge -a bargain?..other comparable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fxsuperglide, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxsuperglide

fxsuperglide Active Member Thread Starter

....I had read in the recent past (a few years ago) that the Audio Technica AT95E was comparable to Linn's higher priced K5 and K9 cartridges, but at a mere fraction of the cost - approx $49.95 from one dealer (NOTE: Linn's K series cartridges were also manufactured by Audio Technica and had a slightly different external shape so the replacement styli would have to be purchased through Linn dealers). Someone figured out that the AT95E styli did fit the K5 and K9 cartridges, but left a gap in front (apparently not affecting the performance). The stylus is a bonded shank elliptical type (while the Linn K9 was likely a better nude shank elliptical). Actually, in the 80s, before Linn's K-series cartridges were introduced, a yellow stylus version of the AT95E was offered with the Linn logo (known as the Linn Basik cartridge, which was a freebie with the purchase of the Linn Basik tonearm - not sure if theirs was an elliptical or conical stylus version though).
    ....On the plus side, this cartridge should be a reasonably good performer for the price (not sure if it is discounted further than the $49.95 I've seen it for, though I've seen a conical stylus? "grey" version several years ago for cheap - may or may not have been the same cartridge body).
    ....As for other choices, for about $20 less (around $25-30), one could get the Audio Technica AT92E universal cartridge (P mount with 1/2 inch adaptor). For a mere $20 more than the AT95E ($69.95), one could get the much nicer AT120E or AT120E/T (which has gold plated connectors and a nude shank elliptical stylus). For $20 or $30 more than that, (often priced to around $89.95 to $99.95) one could go with the Audio Technica AT440MLa.
    ....Unless one were to find an exceptional closeout deal on another brand (as I had with a private label batch of Ortofon made/designed P-mount cartridges - long story there), I'd say any of the AT brand cartridges above are well worth considering for a quality entry-level system. Best of all, they seem to work great with many entry level and intermediate systems.
    ....Others worth mentioning are the Shure M97xE, Ortofon OM10 (can be upgraded with the Stylus 20, 30, or 40 at a later time). Perhaps the Stanton 680 HiFi. Other than that, I can't readily think of any others that might offer a good value. The GRADO might be another choice and are often reasonably priced too, BUT one must be careful with them - they may not work well with certain tonearms and will have the dreaded "Grado hum" if paired up with a turntable that has an unshielded synchronous motor or psu.

2. Toka

Toka Active Member

I put together a system for a friend last year and put a 95E on the 'table. It works very nicely, no complaints at all (and I have complaints about carts that cost 3x what this one does). It won't 'wow' you, or make you hear things you never heard before, etc., but it works and works well. Nice even sound.

EDIT: Available for $39 at http://www.garage-a-records.com

3. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

The Linn Basik, I'm not sure if it was otherwise identical to the AT95, but they glued the stylus assembly to the cartridge body. Of course any punter could do the same to any stock mm cartridge, and many recommend the tweak.

I found it a little nasty sounding, edgy and grainy, but mine, though little worn, was 15 years old. It had a lot of life, but I couldn't change it out fast enough.

The K9 has a metal body and a removable stylus assembly, and a "Vital" shaped stylus which Linn uses on their high end cartridges (and Rega too). It's a bit forward too, but is quite listenable.

4. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

I'll never do it but, just for curiosity's sake, I want to take an inexpensive cartridge and get it re-tipped with the top-of-the-line stylus from SoundSmith (ruby cantilever, nude extended line-contact stylus, $350). In addition to the AT95E, other candidates would be the AT110E, Grado Black, Stanton 500, and maybe even the new Ortofon 2M Red.

5. fxsuperglide

The Ortofon 2M Red is already available in a top model (the 2M Bronze and 2M Black). Still, I often wonder how a cartridge such as the Ortofon or Stanton would sound if they were able to use a cantilever similar to Shure's now defunct Microwall Beryllium cantilever technology.

6. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Yes, thanks, I saw them. The Black looks interesting. But, like you, it's the different cantilever material that intrigues me. From what I can gather, ruby is up there with beryllium (still the top dog, though) and boron in terms of rigidity and that makes the Soundsmith upgrade all the more interesting.

7. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I have an AT1100E from a turntable I bought the other day for $10.00. No idea how much it's been used. How do you think it would compare to the AT92E? I saw where someone suggested adding an ATS12S or ATN12S stylus to it to make it "a contender".

8. fxsuperglide

As for a direct comparison to the Linn K9 cartridge? My own experience? In 1993, I heard a Linn Axis/Akito/K9 combo that was the demo model at the Linn dealer. Early last year, I completely rebuilt a Linn Axis (completely new electrolytic capacitors on power supply), rebuilt Linn Akito MK1 (with new bearings and MK2-B endstub mod), and an Audio Technica AT130E cartridge/stylus setup (0.2 x 0.7 mil elliptical, the finest elliptical stylus, just below the line contact and micro ridge offerings). When completed, I listened to the combo and it reminded me of the Linn Axis that I had heard 19 years earlier. So close was the setup, I was in awe, and no doubt, the person who ended up buying it was impressed as well.

So with that said, the offerings I would compare to the Linn K9 would be the aforementioned Audio Technica, or even the Signet line of cartridges, such as the TK5Ea or better (or any TK5Ea or TK7LCa with their original styli or the current AT-7V (ATN-7V) replacement stylus, which fits any of the TKxEa or TK7LCa bodies perfectly - also the Audio Technica AT-7V cartridge, which is actually a sort of revival of the aforementioned Signet variants). The AT95E is comparable to the Linn Basik cartridge, which is really a step below the ones I just mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.