Record cleaning problems

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mascarasnake, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mascarasnake

mascarasnake New Member Thread Starter

I came into a bunch of records recently; I'll go into detail on what methods I've used by hand on top of a plastic tablecloth. Trying to avoid spending money on a record cleaning machine, but at this point it looks like I might have to. Since I'm cheap, I'm willing to use almost any method that looks like it won't hurt the record. If I've done anything stupid by all means tell me since you guys are pretty much my last place to turn.

Before we start note that all records I expected to sound clean with no noise had little to no scratches on them. Some ancient 10'' records I have have so many miniscule scratches on them they're prepetually noisy.

I also dust before and after deep cleanings with a Hunt EDA carbon fiber brush.

Method 1:

Bought the Disc Doctor solution and at first started applying it with a D4 brush, following the instructions to the T (with regular distilled water rinsing). No change at all; some records sounded worse than before.

Method 2:

Disc Doctor solution with CleanDr. microfiber cloth. Followed the instructions on package again; same results as before. At this point I also started rinsing with a 50/50 alcohol-based cleaner/distilled water solution (I read that technique on an old thread on here), which seemed to do nothing as well. The diluted cleaner was an isopropyl-based CD cleaner.

Method 3:

Since that didn't go very far, I then started doing the exact same Disc Doctor and diluted alcohol-rinsing procedure except using a lint brush. Zip.

Method 4:

Due to my frustration, no Disc Doctor; this time I just used D4+ with a new velvet brush. The records would come out clean and sound fine, but there'd still be a crapload of surface noise. Plus, fine isn't what I want.

Method 5a:

Today I took the leftover D4+ solution and diluted it 50/50 with distilled water. Put it in a spray bottle for easy application. Tried that and the Disc Doctor solution with a small nylon paintbrush my sister loaned me to experiment with a junk 10''; noticed a lot of yellow gunk was being pulled out of the record and got excited.

5b:

Ran over to Michaels and got two soft nylon paintbrushes that were better for the record's size. Used this with the Disc Doctor and the D4 dilute with a bowl of distilled water to rinse the brushes in. Only this time instead of carefully applying the Disc Doctor I'd put half a capful in a bowl and swish the brush around to saturate it...something I regretted when I saw the surface of the record looked far too wet.

I went ahead with the cleaning and noticed patting dry with normal toilet paper didn't work and in fact left paper residue on the record due to the oversaturation. I abandoned the toilet paper and patted dry carefully with a regular towel (which started to leave streak and swirl marks).

Rinsing with the D4 dilute got rid of most of the streak and swirl...but not enough, I ended up buffing the record with D4's velvet brush and trace amounts of the dilute to remove them. Lo and behold, the record sounded INCREDIBLY noisy this time.
    --------------------------------
    So right now I'm pretty frustrated. Are any of these even approaching the right track? What techniques from what methods should I combine to get my LP's sounding as great as I've heard they can?

2. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

3. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I think you have not grasped the mindset of washing a record; it sounds from your description that you are wiping the fluid on the disk and then rinsing it off. This isn't removing anything, just moving it around. Your record grooves should be like the surface of a thin puddle. It does take some practice.

The procedure is to thoroughly wet the disk surface with the cleaner, agitate with some kind of brush (Disc Doctor brushes are just that, brushes, and don't suck the cleaner). This is the only way to get what's in the grooves into the cleaner. Then you rinse it all off, several times,, and dry (using cloth or a vacuum machine). Kleenex VIVA paper towels are almost lint-free for this purpose.

4. aviserated

aviserated New Member

A good hand washing in the sink using WARM water, Dawn, and micofiber cloth is better than any vacuum cleaning machine. You will get the label wet, but very llittle damage will result if you work quickly and dry the record.

5. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Record Cleaning....

Really? And what, pray tell, RCM's have you compared your method to?

Frankly, I think vacuuming is a bit of a no brainer when it comes to record cleaning. It is simply the most efficient way of cleaning the record. Suspend the junk in a quality cleaning fluid-vacuum it off. Without the vac, chances are you are simply moving it around, possibly doing more damage. Notwithstanding adding all the crap which is coming out of your kitchen faucet to the record.

Quality record cleaning need not be expensive. If one already has a good vacuum (and this is critical) at home, the KAB EV1 and all you need for superb cleaning (brushes,fluid) will come in around $225. It's a small price to pay for the results you'll realize. And I've compared the KAB to a Monks.

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I doubt that having tried both and lived with a RCM for a week. The RCM is getting deeper grime out.

7. rexaroonie

rexaroonie Forum Resident

I'd go with the RCM. I got a vpi a year ago, didn't like it at first but now I wouldn't be without one. It is a lot of money,but does work sweet.

8. joelongwood

joelongwood Forum Resident

Like others here, I gotta disagree on this one. I did just as your post suggested for about a year, until I bit the bullet and purchased a VPI 16.5 RCM. To my ears, there is no contest. I've been using the VPI exclusively for the past few years now, and find the results to be exemplary. People who hear my system cannot believe they are listening to a vinyl record.....the silence is deafening. :D

9. aviserated

aviserated New Member

I must try one. Is the VPI better than the Nitty Gritty types?

10. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

I think its a case by case basis. But in my experience I like the VPI 16.5 much better than the Record Doctor which is Nitty Gritty based.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I've never heard someone using this out there, but in case I have to restore a record with dirt almost embedded deep in its grooves, I use something called "Rexon LGL record cleaner".

It is a kind of semi-liquid semi-transparent "goo" that you pour onto the grooves, and then spread across all the surface with your finger.

Then you let it dry completely overnight, so that it becomes a solid film. Finally you place a piece of adhesive tape on the edge of the record and gently pull the film away.

Of course in the process, all the dirt is glued to the film and stays there. It is very effective.

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I've resurrected many apparently-unplayable records using this stuff.

13. aviserated

aviserated New Member

I have heard of people trying Elmer's white glue as you described.

14. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

I did this when I was a kid on an old 45, just to see what would happen.
    It pealed off cleanly, and took the dirt and dust out of the grooves!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.