Question for Steve (re:mastering) TAPE BAKING!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bartels76, Mar 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Question for Steve (re:mastering)

Hi Steve-
    Great board you have here! I have a question regarding mastering 1/4 tapes to a computer and then onto CD. My mom has been recording throughout her career in her home studio and she has a ton of 1/4 tapes that badly need to go onto CD before they disentergrate on her. They have been stored in a dry basement at about 60 degrees in their 1/4 tape cases for 10-20 years. But obviously they have gone through some wear since they haven't been stored in the proper conditions. So my question for you is if these tapes can be saved with equipment she has. She has Paris Ensoniq computer software (DAW) and these tapes are 1/4 inch Ampex 456 tapes that are 10-20 years old. Her 1/4 inch player has new rollers, etc. What does she need to do to master these onto CD. She knows how to run her computer software but she needs to know how to play her tapes w/o losing the sound quality when running them through the computer software. Does she need to bake the tapes, etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ampex 456, eh?

Yeah, needs to be baked. Read this first:

Baking Magnetic Recording Tape to

temporarily restore old tape for playback.

Over time, magnetic recording tape becomes unplayable because the binder used to adhere the magnetic material to the backing or a chemical added to the binder becomes unstable. Tapes in this condition will leave a gooey residue on the tape transport. This residue is comprised mostly of the magnetic material, and playing a tape in this condition will destroy the recording without accurately playing the recorded audio.

There are many individual recipes for baking tapes. For the most part, they are all similar in their process in that they are used to dry the tape at low heat. Once a tape has been baked, it should be dubbed within 24 hours. In most cases it is possible to re-bake a tape as necessary to retrieve the audio, but this should not be a substitute for copying the material, preferably to a digital format that will preserve the audio in its highest possible quality.

Stored tape should always have a smooth wrap. Tapes stored tails out after being played will naturally have this. Tapes that have been rewound at high speed typically do not have a smooth wrap. If the tape to be baked does not have a smooth wrap, try to rewrap the tape by transferring it from one reel to another without running it through the tape guides. This is not easy to do on most tape machines. You may have to do your best with what you have and rewrap the tape after baking it.

Several methods are listed here for your reference. BE Radio makes no claim as to the suitability of any of these methods, nor is BE Radio responsible for any loss resulting from the use of these methods.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method 1

Place the tape in a convection oven for three to eight hours at very 135 degrees F to 150 degrees F. Remove the flanges from the reels to prevent melting the tape.

baking, remove tapes from the oven and allow them to cool to the control room environment for 24 hours prior to working with the tapes. This allows the tapes to cool, relieves pack stresses, gives the binders time to re-adhere to the base film, and allows residual lubricants deep in the layers of the tape to exude to the surface to make the tapes playable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method 2

Ampex recommends:
    Time: 2 - 8 hours, depending on tape thickness.
    Temperature: 130 degrees F, +/- 5 degrees, 10% humidity +/- 5%
    After heating cycle, let stand overnight to cool and stabilize. Should be good for a month or more.

3M recommends:
    Time: 4 hours for 1/4", 7 -12 hours for greater than 1/4"
    Temperature: 130 degrees F. +/- 5 degrees.
    According to 3M, there is no need to worry about electric fields generated by an electric oven.

After completion of the heating cycle, allow the oven and tape to return to room temperature naturally.

Rewind the tape at normal playback tension both directions. Leave the tape tail out if it is not to be copied immediately. Otherwise, copy the tape to another medium immediately, or at least within two days. The copy playback should be done on a machine as perfectly aligned as possible.

NOTE: There is no chart that specifies a certain time/temperature for a given tape thickness or condition. Bake it for a few hours and give it a try. If there are still problems, repeat the process. You aren't trying to restore a tape -- just make it playable for a couple of passes so you can transfer the audio to a more stable medium.Be sure to use a good thermometer. Let the oven stabilize before you bake. Check the temperature every hour or so.

Method 3

Food dehydrators, such as the Snackmaster Pro model FD-50 from American Harvest, can be used. This particular model has four trays, which will easily hold a reel of 1/2" tape. Thicker tapes can be baked by cutting a tray to make a sleeve.

Food dehydrators have an adjustable thermostat and a fan to circulate the air.

bartels76,

Your mom's tapes would need baking no matter what their storage was like. It's the tape manufacturers fault, not yours.

Places do baking for you. Don't try it yourself. Here are a few off hand:

http://www.tapebaking.com/

http://www.cupsnstrings.com/html/digital_studios/ass_digit.html

Regarding transferring, just get your level, hit "start" and let her rip. Should sound fine once the tapes are ready to be played.

3. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I bought a snackmaster for the purpose and I'm gratified to find that it works great! (But the tapes need to be on 10" reels with large NAB center holes). 7" reels with the standard small hole won't fit on the trays.)

4. Steve Hoffman

A Snackmaster. Isn't that the thing they advertise on TV? Or am I thinking of something else?

I use an Easy Bake Oven myself. :)

(Actually RTI/AcousTech has a baking service; they also bake the record labels so they will fit more snugly on the vinyl. THAT'S NEAT!)

5. bartels76

Thanks so much for the replies. I really appreciate it!!

6. bartels76

Out of curiousity, why can't she bake it herself?

7. Steve Hoffman

As the man said:

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!...only specifically built convection ovens can be succesfully used to bake tape...DO NOT put tapes in your kitchen oven.

8. sgraham

sgraham New Member

It's a food dehydrator - I've seen some advertized on TV, but I'm not sure if they were the same - and it has several trays that are just dandy for 10" reels. (I bought it after reading an article in Mix Magazine about it - it's probably still available on line.) Provides temperatures cool enough not to damage the tapes, and far enough from the fan motor not to demagnetize them.

9. audio

audio New Member

Steve-4 track cassette tapes???

I've got some 4 track cassette tapes of Fostex recordings I made that I've been storing since '91 in a variety of environments. Unfortunately, I've been too lazy to put them on cd. Cassettes seem to last a very long time, though. At what point do I need to worry about them; how many years? There is no method for baking cassettes is there?

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I mentioned this in another thread, but if you want to see an actual device used for tape baking, Ben Burtt shows you one on one of the documentaries on the Star Wars Attack of the Clones DVD. It's called something like "Movies are not finished, they're released". He also shows a tape that was destroyed by doing it wrong.

He created a sound effects library for the original Star Wars film in the mid-late 70s, so just like synthetically lubricated professional music tapes from that era, they require baking before transfer/re-use.

Regards,

11. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Re: Steve-4 track cassette tapes???

Although baking cassettes sounds cool, I wouldn't do it. The results wouldn't be satisfying... for you and for your oven.

Transfer them onto CDR before it's too late.

12. audio

audio New Member

Re: Re: Steve-4 track cassette tapes???

That's fine. I trust you. I've got no attachment to baking my cassettes either way and I figured you wouldn't do such a thing. My question is this: What is the projected life span of a quality cassette?

13. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Re: Re: Re: Steve-4 track cassette tapes???

Sorry, didn't mean to sound patronising. It's just what Beavis and Butthead would do: Let's bake cassettes. Cool!

In ideal conditions a cassette tape might last 25 years.

Some links:

http://www.zip.com.au/~lbarwick/BarwickWhyDigitise.html

http://www.cuttingarchives.com/head/faq.html

14. audio

audio New Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Steve-4 track cassette tapes???

That's classic! Did you see that Beevis and Butthead episode where they literally baked their teacher's 8 track cassettes in the toaster?!! That was hilarious. It would be great to get a photo from that episode and use it for an avatar! Hey, thanks for the hot links.

15. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I've been doing some archival work with cassettes, including some very cheapo brands, that go back as far as 1970, and they've held up just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.