Built to Spill WB remastered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alameda5, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alameda5

alameda5 New Member Thread Starter

Has anyone else picked up Built to Spill's WB remastered vinyls?
    I just picked up all three:

Perfect from Now On
    Keep It like a Secret
    You in Reverse

They all sound fantastic. I'm pretty impressed with what WB has done.

2. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Thanks for the tip! Have they been out for long?

Jeff

3. AbsolutYYZ

AbsolutYYZ New Member

Good to know! I have been looking forward to getting at least keep it like a secret, but the local store is lagging with their stock. Did you end up getting them online?

Also, are the bonus any good?
    :righton:

4. AbsolutYYZ

AbsolutYYZ New Member

I believe they just came out this tuesday.

5. Davey

Davey NP: Maarja Nuut & Ruum ~ World Inverted (2020 LP)

Always loved the Up Records 3-sided pressing of Perfect From Now On. So much nicer sounding than the CD. How do these compare to the originals?

6. ivor

ivor Senior Member

I, uh, still don't have a turntable, but I picked up Perfect from Now On and You in Reverse today. The back of YIR says it was mastered by Kevin Gray (!!!), but Perfect credits Howie Weinberg -- I assume this was just reprinted from the original release. Secret is definitely on my list too, but I didn't want to blow the budget I set for myself.

And how awesome is it that they included bonus tracks on the two 90s albums?!

7. nin

nin Forum Resident

Can anyone look in the dead wax on these? If Kevin did all three.

8. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Man, I can't wait to get my ears around these!

Jeff

9. ivor

ivor Senior Member

I looked the first record of Perfect from Now On, and it looked like KM@?M on both sides. I'm pretty sure about the first and last characters, the stuff in between was harder to read.

10. alameda5

I got them at Newberry Comics in amherst,MA. I saw all three and had to have them.

11. alameda5

Kevin did all three albums.

12. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I agree. They sound wonderful! I remember seeing 'Keep It Like a Secret' go for big bucks on ebay so this is doubly wonderful.

13. nin

nin Forum Resident

Thanks, I will get these then. All three was analog recordings according becausesoundmatters.com :righton:

14. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

Why wasn't Ancient Melodies of the Future released along with these? I know it's usually considered the least of Built to Spill's Warner studio albums, but it's still good -- and "The Weather" is one of their most beautiful songs, ever.

15. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

I'm playing the new Perfect from Now On (I got all three). I don't have the original vinyl but this version beats the cd, which was always to bright for me. It's not a great recording, but it is a great record, and the sound it plenty good enough. The pressing is normal weight (I think 180 is mostly hype anyway) and pretty clean--just two tiny tics on side one (I'm on side two now).

The originals I had (There's Nothing Wrong With Love and Ancient Melodies) weren't repressed, so I can't compare, but based on my experience so far these seem like safe buys. And Perfect and Keep it Like a Secret are both terrific terrific music that I heartily recommend to anyone who likes melodic rock music. You in Reverse is good, but not as good, though the production is a step up.

16. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Is this a definite? I know when I was at AcousTech I saw Kevin had some Built To Spill CDs on his counter so I should have assumed...

Does anyone know where I can order these? I went to Acoustic Sounds but only "You In Reverse" is listed.

17. alameda5

In the dead wax they all have kg@AS scribed in them so I'm pretty sure
    Kevin did all three.:)

18. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Insound.

19. ivor

ivor Senior Member

I was surprised to read on BTS' website that these are limited to 2000 copies per album. It sucks that such a good mastering won't get wider exposure, but at the same time I can understand that BTS isn't a mainstream rock band.

Oh, and I picked up Keep It Like a Secret yesterday. Now I just need a turntable. :)

20. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I saw these today, but I was there to buy White Stripes and Spoon. Now that it's definite that Kevin cut all three, I'll be buying all three. :sigh: It never ends, does it?

21. THD

THD Forum Resident

I recently picked up all three of these and am very happy with them all. Two of the three had "all analog" stickers on them, but I don't remember for sure which they were. My memory's telling me that "Perfect From Now On" is the odd man out. No matter, they all sound awesome to my ears.

And really, "Perfect From Now On" is such a magnificent album...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.