Amon Duul II Revisited remasters, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pangolino, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Pangolino

Pangolino Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought the new "Wolf City" and "Phallus Dei" recently - I never had either on CD before, and was excited by the idea of unreleased bonus tracks. Like the Revisited versions of "Vortex", "Only Human" and "Almost Alive", they definitely aren't from the same period as the albums; in fact, these latest ones sound like they were recorded after "Nada Moonshine #". I think "TouchMaPhal" and "I Want the Sun to Shine" (both appended to "Phallus Dei") are both really good songs, though maybe the band could have released a new studio album instead.

Does anyone know anything about where these came from? I do like the Revisited remasters quite a bit, though it's frustrating that they don't always explain the provenance of the bonus tracks.

I never really understood some of the bonus tracks on the earlier CDs, either - especially "Live in London" on Mystic (one of them is clearly the first side of the "Yeti" album with an additional synthesizer sound faded in and out - maybe it was done around the same time as "Reconstructions" or "Eternal Flashback" (the latter of which I've never heard)). I listened quickly to the Repertoire "Phallus Dei" in the shop when it came out, and didn't buy it because the "Freak Out Requiem" parts sounded to me like they were just edited segments from "Tanz Der Lemminge" - can anyone confirm or deny that? I've never read an explanation anywhere, except a comment on this forum by the wonderful Mr. Eroc about tapes coming from a friend of the band. If anyone else has any knowledge or thoughts, they'd be much appreciated.

2. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

3. Pangolino

Pangolino Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks - I'd read through those, but hadn't found anything too much about the bonus tracks, and nothing yet about these latest remasters. It's surprising, though, how many CD issues these albums have had.

4. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Yep... it's very confusing (and expensive)!!

5. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

yeah, as much as I love ADII, I refuse to get sucked into buying all the CDs over again for the bonus tracks...

6. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Don't know about the bonus tracks, but I would suspect that these use the same remastering Eroc did for Repertoire. I'm sure he can confirm.

For AD II, I recommend original Repertoires (some done in 1992, some in 1997) and Captain Trips. The Mantras also seem to be the same as the older Reps in some -- if not all -- cases.

phillyal1 likes this.
  7. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

As I understand it the bonus tracks on the latest (2007) releases come from sessions recorded in March/April 2006.
    I agree a new studio album would have made much more sense-but perhaps Revisited required bonus tracks if they were going to justify releasing the back catalogue again :sigh:

Yeah those bonus tracks on Mystic "Live In London" :realmad: :shake:

I am pretty sure they are:shh:

8. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

Jeff..I'd been interested in finding this out too as I have not bought them yet (there is only so much a poor boy can take:realmad: ) -but on an educated guess I think they may be different to the latest Repertoires-see link below (damn I dont speak German)

http://www.green-brain-krautrock.de...pe=short&SID=f021697b7f2991095c05e67e0e637e52

9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

This seems to be common practice with Revisited. I believe the bonus tracks on the new Holger Czukay remasters are also wildly anarchronistic. And the albums themselves may contain remixes. (And I was really looking forward to buying 'Canaxis 5' with the original cover art. Drat.) At least the Klaus Schulzes seem to have escaped relatively unscathed.

I've yet to upgrade my old Mantra editions of the ADII titles but, when I do. I believe I'll go for the Eroc Repertoires rather than these.

10. Eroc

Eroc Active Member

My remasterings of AD II albums for REP are unique. No other company has released the concernings tracks in the same quality on their label so far...

- Eroc

phillyal1 and old school like this.
  11. Eroc

Eroc Active Member

As far as I can read there and as far as I know there are some evil things going on between Repertoire and the former members of AD II, concerning the release rights.

I was forced two times in the past by REP to expertise a sound-comparison between my own remasterings for them and similar releases from Bell and Revisited.

As far as I may suggest: I would run for the REP's as long as they're availbale... :D

- Eroc

12. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

klockwerk likes this.
  13. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys! I have the first 6 CD's on various labels:

Phallus Dei - 1992 Repertoire version
    Yeti - Captain Trip
    Tanz der Lemminge - 1992 Repertoire version
    Carnival in Babylon - 1st Repertoire version 1997
    Wolf City - Mantra
    Vive la Trance - Mantra

I was wondering about all the bonus tracks as well. I want to get Lemmingmania for Rattlesnake Plumcake and the title track. Of all the 6 CD's I have so far am I missing any bonus material recorded from this period. Their catalog has been done by so many labels that I am way behind on all of this:

Spalax
    Mantra
    Repertoire
    Captain Trip
    Gamma Rock
    and other labels I have never heard of

I haven't bought an Amon Duul 2 CD since 1999 so if someone could briefly let me know what's going on as far as the bonus tracks, I would be happy. If the bonus tracks are not from the 1969-1974 period than I am just going to get Lemmingmania. Basically what I am wondering is if the bonus tracks from these albums from this period are recent recordings or archive material. Eroc, I would be happy to hear from you!

Thanks!

Anthony

14. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

My advice on figuring out AD II bonus tracks is to just give up.

I saw Lemmingmania on Captain Trip the other day. I should have bought it. I bet most of the bonus tracks on various releases are on there, but someone else might know better.

15. rcdupre

I've wondered about the bonus tracks too, I looked at the CDs at Ameoba and it seems that at least some of them are actual tracks from the same era as the recordings, but also some are apparently of the current version of the band. You should get Lemmingmania anyway, as the 2 single A and B sides are way awesome, and I don't think they're anywhere else. It's wierd about the ADII releases, I had heard the later Capt. Trips version of Yeti and that had a lot of songs that were longer than the Mantra version I have...

16. rcdupre

agreed, I'll stick with what I have...

phillyal1 likes this.
  17. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Thanks Jeff,

I think your right!:laugh:

18. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

You're right. The full length version of Pale Gallery is a nice bonus. AFAIK, the Captain Trip Yeti is the only CD version to have these extended fades and the uncut version of Pale Gallery.

Anthony

Ignatius likes this.
  19. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Please disregard Spalax on my list of Amon Duul 2 CD's since they didn't do them. They did the communal pre Amon Duul 2 CD's.

20. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I have all the old Repertoire CD's from Phallus Dei up to Pyragony and they all sound fine to me. The thing with these bonus tracks IMHO is that they tend to break up the mood of a classic album, especially when original and bonus material were recorded 25 years apart! I can certainly understand however when people want them for the bonus tracks to complete their collection. I'm happy with my old Reps and I don't need to upgrade. On a side note, besides the early 'classics' I have a soft spot for Made In Germany which is often being overlooked IMO. I have it on Repertoire and on the original German double vinyl. Make sure you get the complete version though, not the abridged one (which Castle re-released on CD around '91).

Sytze

phillyal1 and CowboyBob like this.
  21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

What's the total time difference?

22. rcdupre

yeah, great album too, the last of the classic era! I have everything through Pyrogany X and after that it's a little patchy, although I've heard Almost Alive is pretty good. Another great one is Utopia (recorded concurrently with Wolf City), although it's a spinoff band, even though the CD release listed it as by ADII....actually all the ADII spinoffs are great: Sameti (awesome) and Achtzen (18) Karat Gold...

23. rcdupre

I think the abridged one may be referring to the single LP version of the original double...

24. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Correct, the original German vinyl was a double, but overseas (Atco in America I believe) they took exception to some of the contents because they thought it was anti-semitic (it isn't). In America, Made In Germany was released as a single album with a different cover (the back cover of the German one, in fact). This single album version was released on CD by Castle. When Repertoire released the complete version on a single CD in '96 I dumped my Castle copy, so I'm not really sure, but I think you get 8 or 9 extra songs on the Repertoire version. And in the correct order, because the Castle version switched the running order of the songs on the original double album.

Sytze

phillyal1 likes this.
  25. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Yes, let's hear it for Utopis. Great album! It even includes a different version of Deutsch Nepal, originally found on ADII's Wolf City album.
    Is 18 Karat Gold on an official CD by the way? I remember seeing it on the dubious Germanofon label in the 90's and didn't pick itup for that reason.

Sytze