Best sounding LP and CD versions of The Waterboys "Fisherman's Blues"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by john lennonist, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY... Thread Starter

A couple of postings on other threads that mentioned this great album (which I haven't heard for a while and don't own) made me want to track down a copy:

The Waterboys "Fisherman's Blues"

What are the best sounding LP copies (inc matrix #'s please)?

What's the best sounding CD? Does the CD come close to the sound of the best vinyl?

Thanks.

2. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Well there are only two issues of this great album that I know of. The original (LP and CD) and the remaster CD with loads of bonus material. The original LP and CD sounds great, both having the edge over the remaster sonically, but it isn't an easy choice as the bonus material is most assuredly worth having.

This was late in the LP game at that time; we're probably lucky they had an LP and doubly so they didn't delete a track from the LP to push the CD. I don't know that there were many (if any) repressings of the LP. It could be rare on LP for all I know. I can tell you that my (US) LP was bought when it hit the stores. It's well mastered, made of good quiet vinyl and features a custom inner sleeve and (lovely) custom labels on the LP itself. So there may not be any particular matrix to seek, just get the cleanest you can. Yes the original CD does come close to the LP; they have the same sonic character.

3. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Funny you should bring this up.... I was listening to this CD earlier in the week and was wondering the same thing.

There's a slight edginess to the CD that has always bugged me, and was hoping an LP version, whether UK or US, might sound better.

apileocole , do you have the US LP or the UK?

4. Dublintown

Dublintown Forum Resident

Funny you should bring up The Wateboys - I'm going to see them tonight in Dublin. The fiddle player Steve Wickham is an old school friend of mine...I played in a band with him when we were about 18/19

I've always thought of Fisherman's Blues as a very well recorded and nice-sounding album - wouldn't have thought there were huge variations among the various CD issues. That said I imagine the LP sounds nice and warm - kind of like Springsteen's Seeger Sessios LP which is similar in style.

5. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

I have a UK Simply Vinyl reissue on 180 gram that is nice sounding. I have no idea how it compares to the original. The SV LP has a very low output so you have to crank the volume to get a decent loudness but the sound is good otherwise.

6. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I have the original UK vinyl. I remember comparing it with a friends original CD - it was a few years back, but I recall the vinyl easily sounding the better. The CD was thin and edgy in comparison.

7. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

That's a good description of the US CD. Looks like I'll be looking for a UK vinyl copy. :thumbsup:

8. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

US LP, first run with lovely custom labels (don't know if there were further pressings). I don't know about the UK or Simply Vinyl UK pressings, but the original US LP isn't lacking in quality. The US LP doesn't have as much of the edginess as the CD has, but that's just your typical CD vs. LP comparison, nothing more. If your CD player sounds real smooth (as mine does) they are similar. Thought it sounded pretty good for that time. I reiterate that the remaster bonus material is considerable.

9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

What about the new 2015 vinyl remaster? How does this sound?

Jos79 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.