Queen "A Night at the Opera" DCC v MFSL.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by crispynz1, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, I would like your opinions as to which is the best sounding. I have the MFSL but I am very curious about the DCC. I have other DCC's and love their sound.

2. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident

And how do both of these compare to the CD that comes with the 30th Anniversary edition?

J. D.

3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Not to thread crap, but if you're set up for hirez, the DVD-A is mind boggling in surround (I still play the DCC for stereo).

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Please do a search. There has been much discussion on this album.

5. heaudio

heaudio New Member

Yeah. Plus, you really ought to know better than to ask a question like that around here. :sigh:

6. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I did do a search and it returned no results:sigh:

7. Russ

Russ Outlaw

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The 30th Anniversary CD is quite good. It's a very nice alternative for those not wanting to shell out the money for the DCC or MFSL. Bob Ludwig did a nice job with it and it has a lot of similarities to the DCC once you adjust the levels.

The MFSL is nice but I don't like it as much as the 30th. It sounds somewhat harsh to me for some reason. If you're going to spend the money for the MFSL I'd suggest buying the DCC instead.

The DCC is the fullest sounding to me. I've read comments were some people think it's a bit too mellow and soft sounding. I can understand that when you compare it to the Hollywood CD but that disc sounds like garbage.

The stereo mixes on the DVD-A are the most gawdawful hideous version yet. It's extremely compressed and has the dreaded smiley face EQ going on. What were they thinking?

George P and sa5150 like this.
  9. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

Just listen to 'Love of My Life' on the DCC and you will be sold!

10. 16/44.1

16/44.1 Forum Resident

DCC.

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I never looked to Queen for audio fidelity anyway, so I just cue up the video of Bohemian Rhapsody in 5.1 surround. My kids love it.

12. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

:righton:

13. 16/44.1

16/44.1 Forum Resident

To go further:
    I prefer not only the DCC version soundqualitywise, but also technically.
    The DCC version has been properly dithered :righton:, while MFSL are not :confused:!!
    There's even DC in it.
    All four MFSL Queen discs in fact.
    So no low level and depth information on those releases :cry: :mad:.

14. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

IMO, the MFSL Night At The Opera has a bloated low end. On the the DCC the low end is tamed.

15. 16/44.1

16/44.1 Forum Resident

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

well said :righton: I only recommend the DCC and the Anniversary Edition :shh:

17. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member

You mean because of the fact that SH mastered the DCC it's impossible that there's a better sounding version of the album. And therefore it's stupid to ask for opinions regarding sound quality between the dcc and the mfsl versions?

18. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

I don't think it's stupid to ask, Baba. It's possible that there are discs out there that rival Steve's. But only if they do something that pleases your ear that Steve didn't do. Remember that the SH version is "the original master tape" not futzed with. So even if you prefer an MFSL over an SH (which has been claimed here before) you are preferring a futz over the way it's supposed to sound.

Peace Love and Here come the Futz
    Marky

19. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Are you sure about this information? I don't recall him stating that it was flat from the tape....

20. stgrenier

stgrenier Forum Resident

The DCC and MoFi are both better than the Hollywood release, but the DCC edges out the MoFi I think.

Now to get some more speakers to see how good the DVD-A mix is!

21. You all should check this out: to tame Freddie's sibilant s's (dentalwork likely to blame) all his vocals are out of phase. The DCC transfer is so accurate that it makes this phase-issue even more obvious. Certainly the best example I can think of to underscore Roy Thomas Baker's brilliance as a producer.

I think the MoFi comes pretty close to the DCC. Either are a huge improvement over the alternatives. the DVD-A stereo is hard and harsh sounding.

22. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I love the three versions (DCC, MoFi & 30th Anniversary). The DVD-A in surround is absolutely stunning.

If I had to chose, I'd keep the 30th Anniversary just because it's cheaper than the others, and it delivers almost all of what there was on the master tape.

23. goodyear61

goodyear61 Member

The Mofi is nowhere near the DCC!!!
    Try listening to the bass. Especially on "`39"
    The DVD-A is great for the surround mix.

24. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

Well, this is Steve Hoffman we're talking about. The answer can't be too far away.;)
    He's stated many times that he does as little to mess with the sound as possible. He may change tubes in the tape machine to get the sound he likes but from what I gather, he stays away from compressors, NR AND EQ when mastering. Judging from the beautiful jaw-dropping sound of the DCC- I assume this is no different.

Peace Love and King of Queen
    Marky

25. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

He never uses compressors and NR, but he definitly uses EQ. Three examples from the top of my head: Mamas & Papas - Greatest Hits, Steely Dan - Aja, Eagles - Hotel California. It was stated here at the forum or in the interview archives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.