Christian Death "Only theater of pain" reissue remastered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seventeen, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi guys,

In association with Lisa Fancher at Frontier Records, my label Seventeen is reissuing worlwide in march 2007 the classic Christian Death album from 1982 Only Theatre Of Pain on both CD and vinyl LP. The vinyl will come out in a combination of red and black copies.

This album will be remastered for the first time since the original CD issue.
    We are remastering this month, mastering will be done by french producer / remasterer Big Zak, who does all Seventeen releases.

The digipack package will feature, as the original CD and LP, Rozz Williams original artwork, while the french artwork will be included in the digipack folder.

Only Theatre Of Pain was Christian Death's debut full-length album. Originally released by Frontier Records in 1982, this album became a gem in gothic/death rock and has been called the start of American goth rock. It should be noted that all tracks after "Prayer" (on the later published CD version only) actually comprise the earlier EP, "Deathwish".

Track listing

"Cavity - First Communion"
    "Figurative Theatre"
    "Burnt Offerings"
    "Mysterium Iniquitatis"
    "Dream For Mother"
    "Stairs - Uncertain Journey"
    "Spiritual Cramp"
    "Romeo's Distress"
    "Resurrection - Sixth Communion"
    "Prayer"

Bonus tracks (CD only)

"Deathwish"
    "Romeo's Distress (demo version)"
    "Dogs"
    "Desperate Hell"
    "Spiritual Cramp (demo version)"
    "Cavity (demo version)"

USA distribution will be assured by Frontier Records, while we will do the french / european distro.

2. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

From my review of my 1982 Frontier CD, it looks like these are all the same tracks that were on that prior CD release, correct? I especially loves Ashes and Wind Kissed Pictures, but recommend all these early Christian Death records. Very spooky, atmospheric type music.

3. seventeen

Yes, it's the same as the old CD release, only remastered. The sleeve will feature the same artwork as before, but in different colors.

4. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Looking forward to this as this is an excellent album. Here's hoping that producer Big Zak doesn't subscribe to the "louder is better" method of remastering! Thanks for the heads up, seventeen.

5. seventeen

Big Zak aka Michel Zacha, was one of the rare breed who recorded music in the late sixties / early seventies, both performing and producing, until he became one of the top punk band producers, in the late seventies. He knows how to record / remaster punk, prog, classical, as well as traditional songs / performer. Very versatile.

He is, as far as the "above 60" people I know, the only one who had 25+ years experience in both mixing, recording and mastering on analog, and who can master digital as well better than I do.

I don't know if you heard our releases, but basically, the guy can remaster from an audio tape an album, and you wouldn't guess for one second that it wasn't sourced from the master tape.

He knows how to get to the maximum volume, without reducing the drums to rice crispies, or making the songs feel like they were totally remixed. So no worry : it won't sound like the Red Hot Chili Peppers CDs or late !

So the tracks will play a bit louder, but basically, it's going to be the same feel, only better and warmer, akin to the early vinyl versions, that we will use as guide. The aim is to reissue something that keeps all the balance of the original, and still gives it a dust off, without violating the integrity of the original sound.

I hope that sounds coherent.

6. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

You bet it does! I am really looking forward to this now. I can't imagine the album was very well recorded to begin with so I'm sure Big Zak will have a bit of a challenge but with that kind of experience, I'm sure it'll blow away previous CDs.

7. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Just curious, is that the same version from the "Hell Comes To Your House" compilation?

8. seventeen

Absolutely.

9. nin

nin Forum Resident

I'm intrested in the vinyl. Are the vinyl cut with a old analog pre-head or a digital delay?

Anyone that have heard this reissue? Christian Death is a superb band and I hope it's a great reissue so I don't need to look for the original vinyls.

10. seventeen

We cut analog all the way, thought I'm not sure what you mean by digital delay. (is that this digitally way of doing lacquers ? Which sounds harsher but is cheaper, I've been offered that once, and it didn't make any sense to me, I like the old way of cutting). The lacquer will probably be done at Masterpiece Mastering in London, they made my Metal Urbain "Les Hommes morts sont dangereux" reissue cutting, and it surpasses the originals, both pressing of them (french and rough trade in the uk) in everyway. We bought the originals to compare, and always got back to them while cutting and EQing.

I hope it sounds good too, we aim to please. No one have heard this reissue yet, not even me, because it's not mastered yet, and will not come out until march 2007.

11. nin

nin Forum Resident

When you cut vinyl, the cutting "head" need to know what is coming next so it can cut the groove closer, to get longer sides, without them go into each other. In the old days, one used a reagular analog "tape head" that check the signal so it can calculate how to cut the grooves. Later there was a digital delay that one used instead. I would VASTLY prefer if you could use the older analog way, for a true analog transfer (in the digital delay, the analog signal are transferd to digital and back to analog and them cut).

You should check if Masterpiece Mastering have an analog pre-head. I would also recommend a GREAT mastering engineer that still works in Germany, Willem Makkee, that have done some superb work on the Universal reissues. You also have Ray Staff in Uk that are also a great mastering engineer.

If done right (analog all the way, no compression and bright sound), this will be a winner and I hope for more Christian Death records in the same way (like my favorite, Ashes). :righton:

About the extra tracks on the CD, maybe do a extra 10" that goes with the reagular vinyl? (I'm wishing here) :angel:

12. seventeen

Oh I see, I'll ask the engineer but I think it's full on analog. Masterpiece does most Sanctuary stuff, among others.
    There will be no extra 12" with the "Deathwish" stuff, because due to contractual obligations, they can only be release for now as extras on the CD, not as stand alone.
    As the other Christian Death stuff, I think most rights are owned by another guy who took control of the name (fans knows what I'm talking about). I won't even try to approach this stuff, too complicated to deal with. Sorry !

13. nin

nin Forum Resident

Okey, let us later if they use the old way, with analog pre-head for true analog transfer. I'm very excited about this, I hope we get a great new release with good analog warmth without the bright sound many reissues gets today.

14. seventeen

Hi guys, the remaining members of the band gave their thumbs up to our first pass at remastering.

Here's the James McGearty quote :

"The new mastering sound really great. However is was you made it possible to have more warmth and depth to the tracks but you did it. Thank you!"

We just mastered side one so far, and will finish side 2 this week, with another round at correcting a few things next week.

As some of you may know, the original Christian Death have reformed under the name "Christian Death 1334", with Eva O (guest vocals on OTOP) on vocals.

They may return for 25th anniversary show scheduled for Friday the 13th of April in L.A.

You will find more info on their myspace

http://www.myspace.com/christiandeath1334

This is the 25th reissue myspace

http://www.myspace.com/onlytheaterofpain25th

To launch the reissue event, as a teaser, we are first pressing on VINYL 1000 copies in the original french cover sleeve, as many record stores claimed for this (knowing that the original US sleeve version 12" VINYL have been in print under different permutation of colors for years and years and is easy to find). Frontier and the band gave their OK, so it's scheduled for the end of april. The first 1000 VINYL copies will include the original french insert reproduced, probably as a poster, we are working on it right now.

You can pre-order the vinyl through our website right away at
    www.seventeenrecords.com

It will also be available through Frontier records once it's pressed.

After this one is gone, the CD digipack with bonus tracks will appear, and they may be around the same time a ltd japanese CD mini-sleeve version. We are currently working on making it all coincide with the reformed band schedule, for obvious reasons.

I'm open to any question here regarding the mastering etc... don't worry, it's not squarewave in one bit :righton:

15. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Thanks for the update, Seventeen. I'll be picking up the cd version for sure!
    This release is essential for any serious 80's "Goth" <sorry about the label, but it fits> collection.:righton:

16. nin

nin Forum Resident

I will get the vinyl for sure!!

17. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I just bought a colored vinyl pressing of this album on Frontier...it sounds great!

18. seventeen

We finished mastering the LP and the lacquer is being made next week.
    As I type this, the original band is preparing to make their first gig in LA on this friday the 13th.
    A guy who claims the name "Christian Death" have been trying every trick to get the gig cancelled, and also claims the right to the original first LP, which he doesn't have (rights belongs to Frontier - licensed to Seventeen).

Guy doesn't appear on it. He is not the original. That's total baloney. But hey, we won't be reissuing any other CD stuff, for a reason.
    Support the real, original band.

19. seventeen

OK, here's a bit of an update. We had several set back on this reissue for reason I can only attribute to Voodoo curse. With several distributors, pressing plants going down, we had delays and delays, but are finally back on track, strangely right at the time when the reformed band is touring europe and france.

Here's what we got in our mailbox this morning :

[​IMG]

That's right, 5 brand new, black looking test pressings of the remastered LP !

Currently listening to them, hopefully and we will give them the thumb up (so far, they sound great), this morning. It means we will be delivered the final product in less than 5 days, give or take the current french global strike !

Of course, the final disc will be blood red as expected.

If you pre-ordered it on www.seventeenrecords.com, expect your copy very imminently !

Stay Tuned and Stay Sick !

20. seventeen

Note : the pressing is using the original, rare alternate french cover sleeve, that we digitally restored. Here are both sides :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. nin

nin Forum Resident

I will get one!!
    So what pressningplants have just closed down?

22. seventeen

In Europe you basically have no choice anymore, some pressing compagnies (ie they probably were sub-assigning the work to others) have gone. It's a living hell, but hey, it's Christian Death !

We are happy to bring this release out there... the LP have never been remastered since it came out 25 years ago. I think the new version is a great update, warmer, smoother, with more details.

23. traveller03

traveller03 Forum Resident

Seventeen, do you know how the new US LPs on Frontier were pressed? All analog like the European version?

24. seventeen

Hi, the US Frontier have been the same mastering since the record came out, I assume they are all analog, I have no idea if she did new lacquers from time to time, I'll ask Lisa Fancher next time !

Our re-mastering have been done on digital : we got a digital straight transferts of the original tapes, and remastered them. Then the cutting have been analog (no DMM, I don't do that). I have played the tests, and they sound great, thought casual listeners will probably not hear the difference right away.

The LPs are pressed, I'm expecting delivery next week, as there are transport strikes all over the place in France right now.

25. traveller03

traveller03 Forum Resident

Cool. I just ordered the seventeen version. I really like that cover! Looking forward to hearing this :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.