JBL 630

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by saderules, Dec 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saderules

saderules New Member Thread Starter

Are those good speakers for $100?

2. saderules

These are the specs:

First Manufactured 1986
    Last Manufactured 1987
    General
    Recommended Power Amplifier Range 10 - 150 watts
    Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
    Woofer 6.5" high polymer laminate
    Midrange Driver 6.5" high polymer laminate
    Tweeter 1" titanium laminate
    Frequency Response 45Hz - 20kHz
    Crossover Frequency(ies) 200Hz, 2.5kHz
    Sensitivity 93dB (1 watt/1 meter)

3. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Based totally on the info above, they seem built decently and are quite efficient. And this is before JBL started selling so much mass-market/Chevy-quality gear* so that increases their potential for sounding good (not hi-end good though). And using one driver to cover all the midrange frequencies is a good thing. :thumbsup:

I'm just guessing here but they seem like they are optimized for reproducing more energetic music categories like rock and pop.

But I honestly couldn't tell you if they are worth a hundred dollars: they are twenty years old so to be worth that much IMO they would have to be part of JBL's mid-to-upper tier series of speakers and be in really good shape. If they have real wood veneer that would put them in that category (in modern $$$, that would mean these would now cost $500 to $700 per pair??). Otherwise, $50 a pair seems more reasonable.

* their low 4 ohm impedance rating is a clue right there: such speakers don't match well with most receivers sold at Best Buy, Circuit etc because those receivers can't supply enough current at higher listening levels & instead just shut down to keep from frying themselves.

4. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

All the lower priced JBL's that I have auditioned are either boomy and or excruciatingly bright but like anything else in audio let your own ears decide. However I think the build quality is definitely not the worst and Please fill out your equipment profile. Happy New Year!

5. saderules

6. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Wow those are in great shape. A 100 bucks may not be unfair then.

Pioneer's receivers usually sound a bit on the warm side so yes, IMO the JBLs would be a good match to end up with a mostly neutral sound. Then add in the warmth of (most) vinyl and this system should sound quite good.

I'll be bet that upper woofer, while handling all the midrange, also handles the bass frequencies along with the bottom woofer which probably includes a crossver to cut off frequencies above 200Hz. This is a very common design nowadays & is usually known as a "2 and half way" system.

Trivia: looks like JBL also tried out the same enclosure system as Boston Acoustics (scroll down a bit; that A200's woofer is really acting as subwoofer being placed so close to the floor), Genesis and some other well-known brands back then: that wide front baffle was supposed to help (if I'm remembering this correctly) the drivers especially the mid and tweeter "launch" the soundwaves in a specific manner.....but I can't remember why. :) Whatever, it looks cool anyway!

7. saderules

Super! I am picking them up tommorow!
    Thank you very much for your help. I really, really appreciate it!

And happy new year!!

8. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

How did those JBL speakers work out for you? That's a decent price in the physical condition they seem to have. .. Are the foam surrounds in good condition? Just wondering. Rolf Erickson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.